Author Topic: DE Razor and Shaving Issues!  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
DE Razor and Shaving Issues!
« on: May 22, 2017, 01:52:41 PM »
Hello all!

I won't go into too much introduction. If you want to know more of my backstory feel free to read previous posts :-)

Long story short: I have been shaving my head by choice for almost 5 years. I migrated from using cartridge razors to headblade and now DE.

I found using headblade that my head because it is so sensitive and coarse that on the third day of using a cartridge it would be dull and cause severe irritation and razor burn (rash) no bumps.

I have slowly transitioned to using a DE blade. I was using a Gillette Guard but my friend managed to give me a FINE Superlite Slant DE razor. I have since been using that with Dorco blades. I have some others in the pack as well.

My question is: I do love the BBS feel but it almost doesn't last but a day or so if that. Plus almost every time I manage to get irritated and red. My barber actually pointed out that rather than razor burn I am actually slicing the hair follicle off and it's causing irritation. The following pictures show where I have the most hard time getting the hair off. This is WTG, XTG and ATG and I still manage feel grain when I shave there. I've accepted I'll truly never be able to always get all of it. I'm sure this is common.

I've been debating with just going WTG and sacrificing the BBS for a little more comfort. What do you guys think? I was also thinking of getting a standard DE blade but don't have much to break the bank. How is the Van Der Hagen blade?

The following is the blade I have and the pictures I mentioned:

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: DE Razor and Shaving Issues!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »
Welcome back, Jon!

I know we all want that BBS feeling, but is it possible maybe you're shaving just a bit too much? Sometimes, a better shave can happen if you shave every second or third day instead of everyday. The two points you showed in your photos are the hardest for most people because those are the transition points on your scalp (where the direction of hair growth tends to change).

Also, I don't remember if I told you this in any of my previous responses to you, but do you use a preshave oil. e.g. Shave Secret? Preshave oils can help your lather a little further by wetting the hair a little more leading to more hair getting shaved with the razor.

Best of luck. FWIW, I have a hard time seeing where the problems are, your head looks nice and smooth to me. Looks better than most of my shaves, but I only shave twice a week to begin with.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: