Author Topic: Bumps on my head and patchy scalp after shaving.  (Read 9804 times)

Offline Gary1236

• Sly Jr.
Bumps on my head and patchy scalp after shaving.
« on: November 21, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »

I dont know but this shave sucked... it was irritated not close AND theres tons of bumps all over my head in the picture its not easy to see but in person theres like hundredss of bumps after shaving i also have to scrap my scalp as there was still lots of dead skin left over it was just really disgusting...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 02:06:12 AM by garrett123 »

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: Bumps on my head and patchy scalp after shaving. (PICTURES)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:52:41 PM »
For one, don't wait days between shaves... it's bad for your head, it needs to be done at least every other day to keep it used to being shaved. When you shave, a lot of friction takes place and it actually does remove a little bit of your skin, exposing more sensitive skin underneath. By shaving frequently you keep your skin accustomed to it and it will heal faster to maintain the outer layer of skin it needs for protection.

Secondly, make sure to always use a lubrication of some sort. Whether oil, shaving cream, or shaving gel. It's very important because it helps keep a slick layer between your scalp and the blades. Plus it will deliver a much closer and less irritated shave. If done right, most men don't get any irritation after a blade shave when they use a good shaving cream.

Third, if you're electric shaving you should still use some sort of Oil if not shaving cream (we/dry rated shavers only!) because the foils of electric shavers get very hot and can cause some major razor bumps and irritation.

To knock down the irritation you have, use witch hazel liberally and let it air dry, and follow that up with a soothing aloe Vera or shea butter or other conditioning/moisturizing lotion.

Biggest tip- don't touch. Rubbing and itching spreads the small infections in irritated follicles, causing more irritation and larger areas of redness.

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:14:37 PM »
Do you exfoliate before shaving? I used to have the same issue, but I brought an exfoliating "glove" that i use before shaving and that's helped dramatically!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 06:19:58 PM »
^ that can help as well but I've eliminated that issue by shaving in the shower. It's faster, easier, closer shave, and your head is already exfoliated and washed (assuming you do it right and wash your head in the shower before shaving in the shower.)

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 07:27:36 PM »
I do shave in the shower, but I have a really oily scalp - so I find the extra exfoliate helps.

Offline Gary1236

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 03:35:46 AM »
i use alot of shaving cream and a very expensive 5 blade razor with lubrication strips and i still get bad razor burn mostly on the sides of the scalp

Offline Gary1236

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:37:44 AM »
I seriously have not gotten a shave thats nice comfortable and smooth most of the time my head is still rough and not close enough and irritated mostly on the sides and back of the scalp

i legit dont know what to do its rather annoying 100% irritation every time even with shaving cream

Offline SlyCatCrossing

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 06:07:12 AM »
Quote from: garrett123 link=topic=27441.msg365247#msg365247 date=and a very expensive 5 blade razor with lubrication strips and i still get bad razor burn mostly on the sides of the scalp
[/quote

Expense has nothing to do with quality of product and quality of shave.  No matter what other factors or variables if I use 3 or more blades I will always 100% of the time get bumps and irritation as well as patchy spots.  Try less blades.  For real, go to your local dollar store and buy the 6 pack of Barbasol branded blades for $1... Just trust me here.  These are made by personna and are actually the exact same blades I use except mine are two blade cartridges and these barbasol branded razors are two blade disposables.  This will not be an overnight cure though, it will take a few days for your current irritation to clear up.  I'm positive you'll be getting close, comfortable, irritation free shaves with these and either way you are only spending a dollar. 

Get those, some barbasol aloe, and some witch hazel.  Best shave of your life for $3
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:18:25 PM by SlyCatCrossing »
Bearded, Bald By Choice, and breathin' the Florida ocean air

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 06:21:04 AM »
+1

Remember Monks have been around for millennia and as far as I know, theres no documentation in history to support the idea that they had uncomfortably shaved heads, with sores and irritation and oh it was horrible.... in fact, quite the opposite is what I've found. They were quite smooth and shaved frequently to maintain that necessary aspect of their religion.

If they could get a decent shave back then, you can now. just experiment and find what goes best with your head. I really believe the right lubrication and soothing lotion afterward is the key, although blades are very important to avoid getting cuts and nicks etc.

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:17:51 AM »
I don't know if monks in other places shave more frequently or not but in my place, they are shaving their head only 2 times a month, on Full moon and New Moon day.

But I agreed with you, the more you shave, the more you get use to your bald head. Your scalp is exactly the same as mine, just because you love the smooth feeling but your hair grow too fast. I'm still finding a way to make it grow slower or permanently stopped, unfortunately, still no clues. :P

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
I agree about shaving more often and I too agree with the exfoliating too.  I now shave in the shower and receive a much better shave it does seem much faster and feels amazing.  I use HeadBlade HeadShed Scrub and it works great!!!  I have used before shaving and after as well with great results.

Offline Hieu Tran

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
I agree about shaving more often and I too agree with the exfoliating too.  I now shave in the shower and receive a much better shave it does seem much faster and feels amazing.  I use HeadBlade HeadShed Scrub and it works great!!!  I have used before shaving and after as well with great results.

Will Headblade need to change the blade regularly? Just hard to ship it to my place as shipping service mostly avoid shipping stuffs to Vietnam.

And just wonder if Headblade will work great on all head shape or not...

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »
You do have to change the cartridges for the ATX & Sport as you will with the newer model that is coming out.  I am not sure on how often as I have not switched over to using their razor system yet completely.  I just purchased the ATX and have just started using it.  I understand through other posts on this site that you can use other branded cartridges with some modifications.  HeadBlade will work on all head shapes I feel as it contours and glides along the head.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:49:28 AM »
Headblade will "work" on any head. Different head shapes may be more difficult to shave with it, but it is always more convenient than a traditional handle.

The blades last as long or longer than traditional blades. Some have reported over 15 shaves with one cartridge. I have personally only gotten to 4, and then I dropped it by accident and it bent the blades. Many guys have reported a consistent full 7 day week of good shaves before noticing any need to change the cartridge.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 11:51:36 AM »
also, Dorco blades are interchangeable with headblade HB blades.

the HB3 and HB4 cartridges from headblade are made by Dorco and are the same cartridge as the Dorco Pace3 and Pace4 cartridges.

Dorco cartridges will have a small adapter on each cartridge for using with the dorco handle. Just remove that adapter and it will fit on the Headblade ATX regular yellow HB4/HB6 adapter.

I currently use Dorco Pace4 and Pace6 cartridges with my Headblade ATX.