Author Topic: shiny or not  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Mattfox89

• Sly Guy in Training
shiny or not
« on: November 08, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »
Hello

Been shaving my head smooth for about 3 weeks now and after I shave and moisturise it's really shiny and probably stays that way untill about 3 days growth. is they're anything I can do to stop my head being so reflective. As I would prefer it not to be. Just personal preference really. I've read that shaving with the grain might dull it slightly but I prefer the smoother feeling of shaving against the grain.

Any advice

Thanks in advance

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: shiny or not
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:59:41 PM »
At the Headblade website, grab a bottle of Headlube Matte. It's awesome! Cuts down on that reflective look very well and also conditions your head nicely.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 07:17:34 PM »
I've tried both the head lube matte and glossy. I don't think there is much difference. I prefer the shine and being BBC it's a bit challenging to get as good a shine as a truly bald man.  Perhaps some talc powder would reduce shine.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:46:48 PM »
I read somewhere that talcom powder poses health risks...? I'll have to look it up...

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 05:53:49 AM »
I read somewhere that talcom powder poses health risks...? I'll have to look it up...

Well, yes. That's what I hear too, but it would lessen shine.

Go for the glow.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »
Do you have a naturally oily head? If so, its going to be hard to beat that shiny look, because your head will be automatically letting out oils to keep it moisturized all day long. What you can do though is carry alcohol wipes and wipe your head off every few hours, the wipes do a great job of cutting back on the shine for a little while, since the alcohol dries your head up temporarily.

Also for aftershave lotions that dry your head up nicely, try Clubman Pinaud. I cant use it although i love the smell of it, because my skin is too sensitive to that much alcohol. It burns like no tomorrow, so im using Afta shave right now which is a lot softer but doesnt have the same lovely scent. Oh well!

If none of those options are helping dry your head out, or if oily head isn't even your problem, i still would recommend the Headlube Matte, but theres another option called Matte For Men, its a brand. They sell a rather large pump bottle of Matte head lotion and it works very well from what ive read, but i have not tried it myself.

Good luck! Let us know what works for you when you find a solution you like!

Offline Mattfox89

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 08:32:20 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys I'll look in to the matte headlube stuff. I wouldn't say my head is overly oily would say it's about normal. (Whatever normal is) and I'm aware that I'll get a slight shine once it's smooth but prefer the non shiny look.
And also why is talc harmful?

And how many of you guys prefer the shiny look over the matte look?

Thanks

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »
Here is an article from the American Cancer Society regarding the effects and studies of Talcom Powder.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/talcum-powder-and-cancer

As for liking shiny vs matte, i have tried both so far and i prefer matte, but i find it very hard to maintain since i had a naturally rather oily head already and I exercise a lot with my work and after work activities. I have adopted a shiny look since its easier to maintain and is more common. I use Shea Butter and Olive Oil, my mom actually is big into natural stuff so im thankful that she makes the perfect organic lotion. It doesnt dry out, so it leaves my head somewhat tacky, and so far I haven't found anything better than is less tacky but still moisturizes and soothes my head.

I may try the Matte For Men at some point but it is rather expensive.

Offline Mattfox89

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 01:52:26 PM »
Think I'll give the talc a miss then thanks for all the advice. I'll try a few things and let you know how I get on. I'll try and post a few before and after pics.
Might help others if they are having the same problem

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 02:02:05 PM »
Awesome! Before and after photos would be great, and it surely will help new folks as well!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
I use the HeadLube Matte.  I have a matte finish so to speak for about an hour and then I guess my oily head takes over and I have a shine.  I didn't even know I had an oily head until I started shaving it.

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 11:39:33 AM »
I haven't tried the headlube glossy, but the Matte didn't seem to reduce shine much

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »
I was hoping the matte would last longer.  I like the product but just wish the matte finish would last.  I'm not against the shine but guess I expected more out of the matte.  I can't image how glossy my head would be if I used the glossy given the fact of how it shines after using the matte LOL!!!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 01:49:03 PM »
Never used the matte , it probably won't reduce the shine , just will not increase it .
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 02:09:42 PM »
I've found baby powder works well for me. Caution when applying however, because too much will be hard to rub in and you'll look like a ghost. if you do use too much, thankfully a wet towel can fix that and just start over lol