Author Topic: Celebrating one week in! (and a question...)  (Read 2381 times)

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
Celebrating one week in! (and a question...)
« on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
So today is my 1-week "anniversary" with my head shaved smooth.  Lovin' it.  Wife isn't quite on board yet, but we're not close to the 30 day mark either.

As a long-time wetshaver (face), I was pretty confident with my DE safety razor, and so far haven't found myself calling 911.  Still not satisfied with my technique re/closeness -- just like learning to shave my face, I'm having to learn how to shave my dome and not leave some spots rough.  I like it smooth, but I seem to have difficulty in the back "corners"(?) the most.  I'm going in different directions, and typically have to buff to get it smooth in those spots.  It may be blade angle because I get the back very smooth in one ATG pass but it's fairly flat and easy to maintain angle.

My question:
Is there any electric razor that can get a head as smooth as a blade?  I hate the sandpaper/velcro feel.  I'm guessing no based on what I've read here and my experience shaving my face, but I gotta ask. And, no, I won't let an  electric touch my face.

Thanks again for all the support and guidance. 

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: Celebrating one week in! (and a question...)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:40:03 AM »
Actually there are several mid to high end electric shavers that can provide a skin tight shave. No it will probably neve be equal to the feeling you get from a blade, but theres plenty of ex-blade users who switch to electric for the simplicity and cheap upkeep, and never turn back.

My favorite is this model:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002N5MHLK?psc=1

I currently have the same razor but without the cleaning station, which is the ES-L63S which can be found for just over $100. Mine is long in the tooth and needs replacing, i think something has rattled loose inside and its not shaving well anymore. Thats what happens when you drop it a lot i guess. Its a hand me down from my dad.

I may get this model above myself when im ready to replace.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
I also enjoy a DE razor wet shave, but I usually make a quick final pass with a Schick Extreme 3 disposable to get it BBS.

I sometimes use a Remington 3 head foil electric shaver. It gets it NEARLY as close as a blade. It will look the same as a blade, but you will feel a slight roughness.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion ThePangolin.  How would you describe the shave as compared to a blade?  It states "wet or dry operation".  Do you find it shaves closer wet or dry?

On a side note, I'd never heard of a pangolin, so I had to google it.  Wicked looking creature and "...the most trafficked animal in the world".

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 09:52:25 AM »
I also enjoy a DE razor wet shave, but I usually make a quick final pass with a Schick Extreme 3 disposable to get it BBS.

I sometimes use a Remington 3 head foil electric shaver. It gets it NEARLY as close as a blade. It will look the same as a blade, but you will feel a slight roughness.

Thanks reddog.  On that final pass with the Schick, do you use shaving cream/oil or water?

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion ThePangolin.  How would you describe the shave as compared to a blade?  It states "wet or dry operation".  Do you find it shaves closer wet or dry?

On a side note, I'd never heard of a pangolin, so I had to google it.  Wicked looking creature and "...the most trafficked animal in the world".

Definitely Wet, and wet as in with shaving cream - not gel or water. Water only with an electric shaver (at least for me) makes it rubbery and difficult to glide over my skin, making it a very annoying and slow process with many passes.

Dry is fairly decent but certainly not fast. No irritation to speak of, just some redness as with most electric shavers but its gone after you stop shaving.

Wet with shaving cream is excellent. Its as close to a Gillette fusion as ive ever come for closeness and smoothness. Irritation free and very quick, just a couple passes on a one day growth and its done.

I personally prefer and recommend barbasol original. Its the best ive ever used, i like the old classics!

Pinaud Original after shave lotion is also my favorite.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 10:26:42 AM »
Oh an yes, the pangolin is an exceptional creature! I use this username just about everywhere, its pretty much always available and i get a lot of inquiries as to what it is, haha. Its very sad how highly trafficked they are... millennia ago, the asians boiled the scales into a tea and claimed it could heal many diseases and ailments. The scales also have other uses, which they are still hunted and poached for today.

What a durable little badass critter though eh? And they kinda look bald so i like that too, haha. Always been a Pangolin fan.

Offline BigJinTX

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 10:39:59 AM »
Oh an yes, the pangolin is an exceptional creature! I use this username just about everywhere, its pretty much always available and i get a lot of inquiries as to what it is, haha. Its very sad how highly trafficked they are... millennia ago, the asians boiled the scales into a tea and claimed it could heal many diseases and ailments. The scales also have other uses, which they are still hunted and poached for today.

What a durable little badass critter though eh? And they kinda look bald so i like that too, haha. Always been a Pangolin fan.

Yes, quite the badass creature -- scales, claws, nocturnal, etc.  Except for this from Wiki:  Pangolins can also emit a noxious-smelling chemical from glands near the anus, similar to the spray of a skunk.  Hell, I can do that!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
lol!

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 11:11:18 AM »
BigJ, I use Cremo shave cream, also keep applying with my shaving soap and brush.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Liquid

• Sly Jr.
  • Est. Sly Warrior since 2011.
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
I would recommend the Wahl 5 Star Shaver. It is an excellent product.