Author Topic: New HeadBlade 4-blade cartridge!  (Read 12908 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
New HeadBlade 4-blade cartridge!
« on: September 22, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
I just got one of these along with my supply order.  I'll try it out in the morning.  Via FaceBook, I spoke to someone who has already tried it out.  I was advised that it requires a little more pressure, but a very good shave.

The adapter is such that the pivot is more forward allowing for more pressure.  I assume this was done to account for the error some users make in that they apply too much pressure on the blade.  I can't imagine a better shave than the HB triples (they're all I've ever used on my HeadBlade Sport), but I'll give it a try.  Apparently, after I try it out, I can fill out the survey on their site and receive a 20% discount for my feedback.

Some folks on this board have commented that they'd like to try a Fusion cartridge on the HeadBlade.  This looks like HeadBlade is attempting to improve their product in an attempt to win more people over.  I applaud that.

It certainly sits up higher.  Kinda of a "hot rod" version.  ;D

Here are some pics:

I left this one high-resolution for detail, but I didn't want to post it directly out of courtesy of lower-bandwidth users. http://www.matthilton.net/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/HBsport4bladeprofileflip.jpg

Here's HeadBlade's instructional video on the attachment of the new adapter and the new 4-blade cartridge:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/29zuJDluMh0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/29zuJDluMh0</a>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 02:55:15 PM by 120inna55 »

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: New HeadBlade 4-blade cartridge!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:02 PM »
i'll pass but thanks for the info :D

Offline Mike_412

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 03:18:32 PM »
That's excellent.  Thanks for the heads up and please report back once you've used it.  It looks like the best tool for the job (imo) just got better.  Love that company and their entire product line.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
i'll pass but thanks for the info :D
There's really nothing to pass on, yet.  It's not for sale.  For one, I thought it was cool to find it tossed in with my shipment.  Secondly, I appreciate any company that works to improve their product or make it accessible to more people.  Finally, I really think highly of a company that listens to their customers' feedback to the extent that they allow them to test an as of yet unreleased product.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
I meant I'll pass on Headblade products. My own opinion, based on my own experience, is that the HB razor (with wheels and without) is a design icon and a design classic, but thats about it. As a razor, its a case of style over substance for me. Their cosmetic products (with the exception of the skin scrub/exfoliator/whatever its called, which is excellent) are no better than other products out there, many of which cost less.

Its very nice they tossed one in with your shipment for you, but remember, its not a free gift to thank you for your custom. They're hoping you'll be a guinea pig, and I dont blame them for that. its good for them and good for you, but they havent sent you a gift. They've sent you an invitation to test, which saves them a whole lot of money. As for feedback, a lot of companies dont take any notice of feedback, even when they go out of their way to ask for it, which is totally ridiculous. However, they're listening to your feedback in order to increase their profits, which is quite right too, thats why they're in business. But they want you to test their unreleased product so they can increase their profits. Nothing wrong with that, thats how a company should behave, but its not like they're doing you any favours :)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
I've tried the blades and I can tell you that it works really well!  The first couple of designs they had didn't but they finally got it right with the one that they have now.  If you like using more blades, give it a shot when it's available.  Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
I've tried the blades and I can tell you that it works really well!  The first couple of designs they had didn't but they finally got it right with the one that they have now.  If you like using more blades, give it a shot when it's available.  Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.

They're not for me Tyler, but thanks :) I wouldnt waste more money on a Headblade product, not unless they were RADICALLY changed, and I dont see enough of a difference for it to be radical. For them to be radically changed, they'd have to become completely different, and that would negate their very existence. Plus I dont think the 20% discount applies to me anyway :)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 03:49:45 PM »
I've tried the blades and I can tell you that it works really well!  The first couple of designs they had didn't but they finally got it right with the one that they have now...Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.
So what was your opinion of the HB's triples?
...Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.
That's precisely what I did when I ordered the shipment in question.  ;)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
I've tried the blades and I can tell you that it works really well!  The first couple of designs they had didn't but they finally got it right with the one that they have now...Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.
So what was your opinion of the HB's triples?
...Also, don't forget that you can get 20% off when you go to http://www.slybaldguys.com/headblade  or click on any of the HeadBlade banners.
That's precisely what I did when I ordered the shipment in question.  ;)

I'm not a big fan of the triples.  For some reason the 4 blade worked better for me than the trips.  I believe it has to do with the flexibility of the blades.

Thanks for using the link :)
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:40 PM »
Cartridge comparison.  Left to right: Schick Hydro 5, Gillette Fusion, HeadBlade Triple-blade, New HeadBlade 4-blade (not yet for sale)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:13:05 PM »
I meant I'll pass on Headblade products. My own opinion, based on my own experience, is that the HB razor (with wheels and without) is a design icon and a design classic, but thats about it. As a razor, its a case of style over substance for me. Their cosmetic products (with the exception of the skin scrub/exfoliator/whatever its called, which is excellent) are no better than other products out there, many of which cost less.

Its very nice they tossed one in with your shipment for you, but remember, its not a free gift to thank you for your custom. They're hoping you'll be a guinea pig, and I dont blame them for that. its good for them and good for you, but they havent sent you a gift. They've sent you an invitation to test, which saves them a whole lot of money. As for feedback, a lot of companies dont take any notice of feedback, even when they go out of their way to ask for it, which is totally ridiculous. However, they're listening to your feedback in order to increase their profits, which is quite right too, thats why they're in business. But they want you to test their unreleased product so they can increase their profits. Nothing wrong with that, thats how a company should behave, but its not like they're doing you any favours :)
I'm not naive.  What you've stated actually goes without saying.  But I'm willing to be a beta tester.  I also think I'm articulate enough to provide a concise, objective, critique from which the manufacturer - if they acknowledge it - may find useful.  If that enables them to produce a better product, I'm happy to cooperate.

That said, no one's trying to "convert" you.  I fully expected to dislike the HB to begin with.  I'd assumed it was just a gimmick, but there were enough positive reviews on this site, that I thought $13 wasn't much to lose, so I picked one up at Walgreens.  Unlike some, my first experience was good.  There was no real "learning curve" as many have expressed.  Conversely, prior to using the HB, I was using the Fusion.  I was disappointed with the Fusion, again, despite the positive reviews.  My double-edge provided a much better shave over the Fusion, but it just took longer.  In my experience, the HB with the triples, has given me the closest, fastest, and most comfortable shave after trying a double-edge (with which I'm experienced on my face), Schick Hydro 5, and Gillette Fusion.

Offline ukjohn62

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »
I have never seen these in a shop but I have seen them online. I would like to try one.

John

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 09:56:43 AM »
I hate this cartridge!

I used it for the first time yesterday morning.  I usually shave daily, but I skipped Thursday.  I wasn't pleased with the results yesterday morning, but I withheld judgement since I had more stubble than usual.

So, this morning, I shaved as per my routine with 24-hour stubble.  The bottom line is that it required many, many more passes to achieve a closeness even approaching that of the the TripleBlade's single pass.  Seriously, I rarely have to revisit areas with the TripleBlade cartridge.

I realize this prototype requires more pressure, but that made no difference.  I found myself having to pick up on the wheels to get certain places smooth.

The only positive things I can say about this 4-blade prototype is that despite all the multiple repeated passes, I have very little irritation, and even though I rinsed after each swipe, it does not appear to be prone to clogging.

It should be noted that the new adapter and cartridge come as a unit and have to be used together.  Thus, I can't comment on whether or not this shortcoming is a result of the actual cartridge or the adapter.  It would be interesting to try on an adapter that centers more over the blade.  However, it seems obvious by the design that the fulcrum point placed at the front of the blade is precisely what they were attempting to achieve.

I don't want my experience to sway anyone else from trying this cartridge if given the opportunity to test it.  This shave was similar to that of my experience with the Schick Hydro 5 which I hated, but others apparently love.

I'll stick with the TripleBlade cartridge and hope they don't phase it out.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 11:00:45 AM »
Thanks for the test run Tex. I'll have to scratch that one of my list.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
Thanks for the test run Tex. I'll have to scratch that one of my list.
Me to...happy with the Trips for now, until they run out at least...