Author Topic: Does anyone else prefer wearing hats?  (Read 10009 times)

Offline newby08

• Sly Jr.
Does anyone else prefer wearing hats?
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:28:06 AM »
Though I wasn't initially too fond off the bald look on myself, I got used to it and it hasn't been an issue for me for a while. However, I've been feeling unattractive since my luck getting dates with other guys has been not all that great. So lately, I've been wearing beanies, berets, and floral-printed caps, and I think they make me look better. I've even just stopped shaving my head and letting the hair grow since it's only thin (well, almost gone) on the top. I know it won't be possible to do this at work, but is it a bad idea to just hide my baldness, at least sometimes, if it makes me feel more attractive?

Offline Oracle

• Sly Jr.
Re: Does anyone else prefer wearing hats?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:44:04 AM »
Do what makes you feel better just remember that at some point you are going to have to deal with your balding head and your lack of confidence.  You mentioned that wearing hats was your means of hiding your thinning hair.  Who are you hiding it from?  The guys you are trying to attract or from yourself?

When my hair first started thinning, I started wearing ballcaps.  The thinner my hair got, the more the caps became a fixture to my head.  It was the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I took off at night.  Many of my friends had never seen me without  a cap on my head but everyone assume I was as bald as an egg because of my ballcap dependency.  After I finally shaved my head, after 30+ years of hiding my baldness under a cap, I realized that I was only wearing the ballcaps to hide  my head from myself.  I would have been a lot happier had I accepted my thinning and eventually bald head as it happened instead of trying to fool myself and others into thinking that maybe I had hair under my caps.

Even if you do hook up with some guy while wearing one of your caps, he has either already figured out that you are trying to hide your thinning hair or he's going to know shortly.  Rather than go through all the turmoil of hiding your baldness from others to attract someone and then having to bare all afterwards, get a good, professional barber to cut your hair in a style that makes the most of what you have left.  Maybe grow some facial hair to offset what you are losing on top.  When the time comes that you just can't style the top to look respectful, then buzz it all off or shave it and hold your head up high!  You'll have joined the ranks of the Sly Bald Guys, a privilege that more men should consider!

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:08:51 AM »
I can only second what Oracle said. It is your head and your hair. My feelng is you should do what makes you feel good in this situation. Just keep in mind that eventually that hat will have to come off.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

02kpjw@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
Send a picture of your bald head without a cap and I bet that I will be overly attracted to your look.   I wore hats until I went totally bald as a choice and have not worn one since.
Just be yourself an do not worry about what other people might think.  Just have confidence in yourself and you will feel better in so many ways.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I really like wearing hats and always have, even when I had a full head of hair. Once I started losing my hair, I was afraid I would rely on my hats as a crutch and I forced myself to leave the hats home. That helped me to accept my hair loss and also get over worrying what others thought of my bald head.

I still wear hats but mostly for protection from the cold.

As the other gentlemen said, you have to do what makes you feel good; if you like the way you look in hats, then wear them but you might try to go solo every now and again so you come to like yourself the way you are.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
Years ago as a joke when I wore a hat like you,I would say the hat was the poor mans hair piece. >:D
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I still wear my monogrammed ball caps when they blend in with whatever shirt I am wearing that day. But I never wear them for the sole purpose of covering my bald pate unless working out in the sun.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
Newby, is wearing the hats making a difference in getting dates? 

I agree that you should do what makes you feel good about yourself.  You can always shave the hair back off again if you decide to.  I only wore hats for a brief period, but hated how the "secret" was revealed when I had to take my hat off.  I am so much happier being sly. 

Offline newby08

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
Do what makes you feel better just remember that at some point you are going to have to deal with your balding head and your lack of confidence.  You mentioned that wearing hats was your means of hiding your thinning hair.  Who are you hiding it from?  The guys you are trying to attract or from yourself?

When my hair first started thinning, I started wearing ballcaps.  The thinner my hair got, the more the caps became a fixture to my head.  It was the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I took off at night.  Many of my friends had never seen me without  a cap on my head but everyone assume I was as bald as an egg because of my ballcap dependency.  After I finally shaved my head, after 30+ years of hiding my baldness under a cap, I realized that I was only wearing the ballcaps to hide  my head from myself.  I would have been a lot happier had I accepted my thinning and eventually bald head as it happened instead of trying to fool myself and others into thinking that maybe I had hair under my caps.

Even if you do hook up with some guy while wearing one of your caps, he has either already figured out that you are trying to hide your thinning hair or he's going to know shortly.  Rather than go through all the turmoil of hiding your baldness from others to attract someone and then having to bare all afterwards, get a good, professional barber to cut your hair in a style that makes the most of what you have left.  Maybe grow some facial hair to offset what you are losing on top.  When the time comes that you just can't style the top to look respectful, then buzz it all off or shave it and hold your head up high!  You'll have joined the ranks of the Sly Bald Guys, a privilege that more men should consider!

Obviously, I know that I can't wear a hat 24/7, but it's nice to feel a bit more attractive for some time. And honestly, I'm hiding it from both. I want to look how I did a few years ago, and I want guys to not see me as being unattractive. I know I won't be able to actually trick people into thinking I'm not bald/balding, but I just have more confidence with the hats. I've tried cutting and styling what's left of my hair, and it's basically pointless since I have almost nothing on top (at this point, it's in the horseshoe shape). I wish I had more confidence, but at the moment, I just don't like myself and my appearance.

Offline njbill

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
I go from like  a 6 to a 2 when I take the hat off  ;D

Offline slybald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
 i like wearing hats not because i am trying to hide something i just wearing it because i think it fits me everyone know i have no hair what will be point to hide it?  ;D

Offline mascherani

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »
i wear hats because i like it, not to hide something. right now, for example, i'm totally addicted to newsboy caps!

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:13:13 PM »
I wear hats as a fashion statement or to keep my head warm. Never indoors. And certainly never to hid my dome.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
I wear a hat only to keep my BALD MELON warm.

Mike,  you have a great bald head  -  show it off  - -some of the bald guys may think you have a head of curly hair under your hat. 

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »
I'm like you Mangosink, only wear hats to protect from cold. I should wear a hat more in the summer sun, but I love a nice tanned dome.
Bald by choice, and loving it!