Author Topic: Velcro head  (Read 8230 times)

Offline SalWalker

• Sly Jr.
  • Contentment is wealth; luxury is poverty
Velcro head
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:02:07 AM »
Quick question guys.  

I just shaved yesterday and ever since, my head has been really sensitive.  When I pull a tee-shirt on or off it catches on my head as if its velcro.  It isn't comfortable.

I don't think it's razor burn, but it's uncomfortable to touch, even with my hand.  And the clothes snagging on my dome is definitely not cool.  Does this sensitivity go away, or do I need to try for a closer shave or what?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:58:23 AM by SalWalker »

"If you wish to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."  - Epictetus

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Velcro head
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:05:56 AM »
This is a common malady. I have found that if this happens all the time that I either need to change blades or whatever shaving system I used is not particularly well suited to the dome.
One of the things I have found since going sly is a chronically empty wallet. Much money goes into experimenting with new stuff.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline RoWilJr

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • SlyStyle...Get your Shine on!!!
Re: Re: Velcro head
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:18:36 AM »
Yup... Quite common. After a while, (see 30 day rule) your scalp will adjust.

Cheers,
Ro

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 11:51:36 AM »
First few days of sensitivity is normal. The scalp seems to 'toughen up' but it takes just a couple days.

Also, you learn how to get a t-shirt off at night with minimal velcro snagging. In the morning after a shave, the t-shirt just slides on very nicely.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
Not a problem if im really smooth , if im lazy and leave it a day my hoody does catch and i get threads from my hoody on my head ,
Answer is keep it smooth and shiny , sly slaphead style

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
Welcome Sal!The sensitivity will pass shortly. As for the velcro... are you shaving WTG and then ATG? Or only WTG?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline SalWalker

• Sly Jr.
  • Contentment is wealth; luxury is poverty
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:12:54 AM »
Thanks all for the advice, info, and support.

I shaved again today (so...two days after my first shave) and don't have the same sensitivity issues.  I only shaved WTG this morning...but I also only shaved WTG Saturday night.  A couple of differences between this shave and the last: I used Nivea shave gel and a three-bladed disposable razor that has a moisturizing strip.  Last time (i.e., my first time) my barber did it with a straight razor and a shave oil. 

I know it would be a lot smoother and closer if I went ATG, but I just wanted to experiment this morning.  besides, I was a little hesitant after the sensitivity I experienced last time.  I intend to try a second pass ATG with my next shave.

Thanks again for your feedback. 
"If you wish to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid."  - Epictetus

Offline Trip

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
new blades, shave every direction, every kinda oil, gel, lotion....3 passes with the razor and Im still grabbing fabric, hats, sofa cushions......

my barber told me I prob had a little too thick to ever keep it really slick/smooth......now I believe him.....

but Im getting used to it after a couple of months and it doesn't bother me as much....

Offline Baldy84

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
I usually shave in the evenings. The first full day after, I'm good, but after that, I always get the Velcro. By about the third day, the stubble is softer (if I still haven't shaved).

Offline ksshane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 11:29:56 AM »
Velcro head is probably the number reason I stick to my routine.   Shaving daily keeps velcro head at bay..lol   O0

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »
I start to get rough after a few hours!!!!!!!

Some patches i cannot get smooth! I would need to take the skin off to do so. That is annoying