Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741613 times)

Offline DCSlyOne

• Drives With The Top Down
  • Sly Jr.
  • At My Sunday Best
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #315 on: September 25, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Sorry for not posting up.  I have been very busy lately, plus, on one of my DE shaves, I did not have the blade seated correctly in the razor, and took a nice chunk of skin off my right face cheek.  I had to wait for it to heal up before trying again.  I did a DE shave this past Saturday, and all went well.  The cut had healed, and I made sure the blade was in correctly this time.

I will shave again tonight, as I have a fair amount of beard growth, and I would like to have my face BBS for tomorrow.

Also, I noticed something with a change in blade settings.  I went from a 1 to a 2 on my Merkur Futur, and noticed the smoothness of the shave lasted longer.  Instead of 10 hours on setting 1, it lasted 12 hours on setting 2.

I'll post up some pics from tonight's shave later.
[img width= height= alt=ImageChef]http://cdn-users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/2/090912/purf3b33834440fda29.jpg[/img]

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #316 on: October 02, 2012, 05:56:01 PM »
My October 2, 2012 Safety Razor SOTD

Face (sink) and Dome (shower)

Razor:  Merkur 37C

Blade:  Feather

Brush:  Semogue 620

Soap:  Mystic Water Soap (Bay Rum)

I had a refreshing BBS DE shave.  This is my 1st time using Mystic Water Shaving Soap.  I will do a mini review of the product later.  All I gotta say is that this is a must buy shaving soap.  It is also made in the good ole USA in Maryland. 

WARHAWK
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Slynito

« Reply #317 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
Enjoyed the videos and I'm anxious to try their soap, it looks great...and I love it being made in the USA just like my cars 'n' trucks.  O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
I had a great face and dome shave.  This is my 2nd time using the Mystic Water Soap (Bay.Rum).  I am really enjoying this soap.  The bay rum scent is refreshing and the lather is thick and provides a lot of cushion.   The soap also leaves my skin feeling great. 

Razor:  Merkur 37C
Blade:  Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: Mystic Water Soap (Bay Rum)

Dessert (as our own Bluebriz would say) was an ice cube rub and a splash of refrigerated witch hazel than air dry than some Nivea for Men lotion. 

WARHAWK

Slynito

« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2012, 12:25:48 PM »
Yesterday my Mother gave me a 1947 Gillette Super Speed that my Father used. I'm sure that I used it when I was a beginner, too. I really can't remember which Gillette I first bought, but I'm sure that I used a Fat Boy Adjustable in the Marines. It may have been the one they issued in Boot Camp. That data left the folder. I just took the Gillette for a drive and it was much better than I remembered. But back then we didn't use oils, gels, pre-shaves and the better DE blades like we have now. It was a SAS using a little used Shark blade. Now boys, don't be gettin' no ideas that I might be gettin' rid of my Merkurs, ya hear?

:*))

theman

« Reply #320 on: October 08, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Yesterday my Mother gave me a 1947 Gillette Super Speed that my Father used. I'm sure that I used it when I was a beginner, too. I really can't remember which Gillette I first bought, but I'm sure that I used a Fat Boy Adjustable in the Marines. It may have been the one they issued in Boot Camp. That data left the folder. I just took the Gillette for a drive and it was much better than I remembered. But back then we didn't use oils, gels, pre-shaves and the better DE blades like we have now. It was a SAS using a little used Shark blade. Now boys, don't be gettin' no ideas that I might be gettin' rid of my Merkurs, ya hear?

:*))

You just had to bring your Merkurs up !  I am drullen like a old bulldog wanting to get one .  Guess I will , either the longer model or the heavy model.  I have loved to collect, guns, knifes, watch's, etc..  Now it is Razors.   ;D ;D ;D ;D  Oh well !  Stuff happens ! ;)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #321 on: October 08, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
@ Slynito:  Show some pics of the DE razors...most especially the one your dad used.

@ Theman:  Keep us posted on which Merkur razor you get.  The Merkurs are great razors.  I have the 37C slant razor.  They are great performers.

WARHAWK O0

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #322 on: October 09, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
Tuesday, October 9, 2012 SOTD

Face (sink) & Dome (shower)

Razor:  Merkur 37G

Blade:  Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (Blacks)

Brush:  Semogue 620

Soap:  Mike's Natural Soap (Lemongrass)

Dessert (as our own Bluebriz would say):  Ice cube rub, refrigerated TN Dickenson's Witch Hazel, Nivea for Men A/S Balm.   I have become a big fan of Merkur's Slant Razors.  I have a 37C.   I was fortunate to receive the 37G from a good friend.  It shaves superb just like the 37C but it is gold-plated.  The Gillette 7 o'clock blades are a great blade.  Sharp, smooth, and forgiving.  I had a great BBS shave.  Life is grand!!!

WARHAWK
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:45:44 AM by warhawk »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #323 on: October 09, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
Hello Gentleman (and any ladies perusing these pages),

I hope you are all well?

This morning my headshave, in the shower, was the WS Extreme 3 razor, with the headslick, because I was in a bit of a hurry.

The face was Arko shave stick, Omega brush, 37C slant razor with Feather blade.

Dessert was the usual warm then cold water rinse, witch hazel, then 444 balm with Vanilla Clubman AS.

Magic!

(Also I ordered two of the new Razorock razors from Italianbarber.com.  Can't wait to get my hands on them, especially the Open Comb!)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #324 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:42 PM »
Had a superb evening shave!  I've discovered in the past couple weeks that face and head lathering (as opposed to bowl or scuttle lathering) is the way to go for me.  I found out this great lathering technique by accident when I was trying my first DE shower shave.  Instead of using a bowl to lather I just put some cream on my brush and lathered on my skin and hair.  I didn't complete the shower shave (DE is much harder in the shower because the handle can get so slick IMO) but I found out that face lathering is much better for me in terms of creating a better lather and exfoliating with the brush.  It feels great, too!

Razor:  EJ de89L
Blade:  Astra SP
Cream: TOBS Sandlewood and 4 drops of Shave Secret (I've dropped glycerin from my shave routine for now, doesn't seem to make much difference without it)
Brush:  Vulfix 1016 Badger
Aftershave:  Cold water, Pinaud Clubman
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Slynito

« Reply #325 on: October 10, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
@ Slynito:  Show some pics of the DE razors...most especially the one your dad used.
WARHAWK O0

@Warhawk: The old Gillette sure ain't perdy. The chrome is worn as is the knurling after 65 years (mas o menos) in hard well water. My Father used it for near 30 years and my Mother shaved her legs and the back of her neck until recently. The plastic case is in good condition except for rust stains from a Gillette Blue Blade sitting in the bottom of it for 50 or so years. There is also a "Croydon" razor blade still in it...it's a British blade, right? I'm going to pass it along to a son.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #326 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:40 PM »
@ Bluebriz:  Brian... keep us posted when you get those razors.  Please post pics and your review.  I am curious on how you will like the OC (open-comb). 

@ BillonBass:  Bill... I'm glad that you are keeping us posted on your SOTD,  Glad that you are consistently improving your routine. 

@ Slynito:  Try using some Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush to clean the vintage razor.  It might help.  Scrubbing Bubbles is a cleaner and disinfectant that can be purchased at any store such as Target.

WARHAWK O0

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #327 on: October 10, 2012, 04:41:43 PM »
@warhawk will do Mel.  They should be here in about a week.  The only OC I've used before was an SE which I really enjoyed!

Slynito

« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2012, 06:13:25 AM »
@ Slynito:  Try using some Scrubbing Bubbles and an old toothbrush to clean the vintage razor.  It might help.  Scrubbing Bubbles is a cleaner and disinfectant that can be purchased at any store such as Target.

WARHAWK O0

Thanx for the suggestion, Mel...I used Arm 'n' Hammer with a toothbrush and got it clean. It does have some miles on it.

O0

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:34 AM »
Last night...

HeadBlade in the shower w/ HeadSlick for the Head

At the sink.... for the face...

Mike's Natural Bay Rum Shave Soap
Brand new Astra SP blade
Edwin Jagger EJ89L razor
Vulfix 1001 badger hair brush
Clubman Vegetal aftershave

Oh what a great shave I had last night. First time in weeks that I've really had time to really enjoy my DE.

Mike's Natural soap is the best I've used.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields