Author Topic: Restaurant lays off waitress who shaved head for cancer charity  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Restaurant lays off waitress who shaved head for cancer charity
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »

...when I shaved my head for COPS For Cancer fund raisers in the past, that word gets out well before you do it to everyone because you collect pledges to shave your head.

That's awesome !!

But--again--what if BY SOME STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION--your choice of awesome causes required your sporting or doing something that wasn't exactly in line with your visible position or even was clearly against department directives....you and your superiors would be put in a difficult position.....someone would have to compromise a little or a lot.  Would you be in a position to say "F*** You, Sarge! It's for a good cause you heartless, evil son of a bitch!"

OK...I'll admit that I have huge personal issues with the "GOOD CAUSE / IMMUNITY" bullsh*t....I won't go into the details, but my mother, now in her 70's has, since before I was born been a champion and hero in an area of a "GREAT CAUSE."  She is and has been applauded and lauded up and down society, but we as a family have been overlooked and neglected in HUGE and DISPICABLE ways.   She has ruined my sister's life by being more concerned with her "GOOD CAUSE" than responsibly raising her children.  GOOD CAUSE?  Yes....RESPONSIBLE?...f**k no.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:06:08 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2008, 09:58:08 PM »
lol, well, I actually let my hair and beard grow quite long before doing it, and it WAS in fact quite against national uniform policy, but it was waived as it was for a good cause.  And there was actually a picture and pledge sheet explaining it so people could see when ever they walked into our office.  People who didn't see the ads about what I was doing asked about my ratty appearance and I would explain to them what it was I was doing, then everyone would pull out their wallet or purse and pledge me.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »
lol, well, I actually let my hair and beard grow quite long before doing it, and it WAS in fact quite against national uniform policy, but it was waived as it was for a good cause.  And there was actually a picture and pledge sheet explaining it so people could see when ever they walked into our office.  People who didn't see the ads about what I was doing asked about my ratty appearance and I would explain to them what it was I was doing, then everyone would pull out their wallet or purse and pledge me.

***sigh***

That's awesome, man...it brought attention to your cause....your department and "customers" were obviously supportive....You're golden, man O:O

Yer obviously not getting my point....but that's cool too. O0

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 10:48:41 PM by Robmeister »

Offline Jer

• People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
  • Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »
Actually, I do get your point, but see, when you look at charities out there, they never require you do do anything that could impact your life in a negative fashion.  I hadn't seen your fine print until now though, and sorry to hear that.  Charitable causes are to help support others, and when they get in the way of your own life, or your participation in them negatively affects the life of someone else, then it can no longer be considered a charity, at least in my perspective.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
Actually, I do get your point, but see, when you look at charities out there, they never require you do do anything that could impact your life in a negative fashion.  I hadn't seen your fine print until now though, and sorry to hear that.  Charitable causes are to help support others, and when they get in the way of your own life, or your participation in them negatively affects the life of someone else, then it can no longer be considered a charity, at least in my perspective.

:)

Enter your email address: