Author Topic: Barbershop Headshave?  (Read 23676 times)

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
Barbershop Headshave?
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »
So, I have found out there is a barbers near where I live now that are doing headshaves. I like the feeling of doing it myself, so is it worth trying the barbershop headshave experience?

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
Re: Barbershop Headshave?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
A barbershop headshave is a luxury and an indulgence.  Try it at least once.  Here is my caveat, though.  To date I have never had as close a shave from a barber as I can give to myself.  Nonetheless, I plan on continuing my quest for the perfect headshave.

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »
Red echoes my sentiments exactly. Try it at least once as an indulgence but I've never heard of one as close as a shave that you can give yourself.

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:30 PM »
Hi Scott, I always get my head shaved smooth at the barbershop. I have posted about it some time ago. I have the smoothest head after the barber is done with me. Maybe it helps that my barber is my regular barber in the past 5 years. Hope you try and enjoy the experience.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline F77Scot

• Sly
  • Bald and Bearded...and loving it!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Thanks Kalbo, I feel I should try out the experience.....I am pretty sure I will enjoy it...!

Offline jrcd654

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »
Going for my first (of hopefully many) barbershop head shave today! Something of an experience, I hop!

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:00 AM »
so is it worth trying the barbershop headshave experience?

Yes, just once.

Don't think the barber shaved any closer than what I do at home. While he was shaving my head, the barber was giving me tips and advice on how to improve my own shaving techniques.

And I enjoyed walking out of the barber's with a freshly shaved head.

Recommended.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »
I agree with Simply Red and Mr. Jules. It is a truly enjoyable experience and fun to be pampered once in awhile. I agree that I have never gotten as close a shave from a barber as I have done myself. Never the less, it is a great experience. You can also pick up some good tips on how to improve on doing head shaves yourself. My barber told me that it is all in the prep which makes for a good head shave. I am sure that you wilol find it to be an enjoyable experience.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Nothing like a barber's shave  - -I don't shave for two days after
This photo is just after  I came from the barber  - -Wonderful feeling  - - -My head  feels like glass - -
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:55:24 AM by mangosink12572 »

Offline jrcd654

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Back from my first barbershop head shave and it was a unique experience. The barberette was extremely professional and very adept at shaving although admittedly she doesn't do many head shaves but does do 2-3 face shaves weekly. It was very relaxing, but I do get a closer shave. Will definitely try it again, and most likely with the same berber.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Although very relaxing I have found as others have that I get a better shave myself than from a barber(ette).  Go figure.
Roger

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
I went to the barber today, but it was mostly to get a beard trim...I did have enough peach fuzz on the noggin so I let him go ahead and shave my head. He applied the hot towel, the whole nine yards...He did a solid job, I would give him an 8.5 on a scale of 1 to 10.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline jrcd654

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
Went for my second barbershop head shave today. The first one (two weeks ago) was good but not great (hot female barber, great atmosphere, high-end upscale shop and overall a nice experience). Today I went to a place in NYC called Eddie's Haircut and Shave and it was great. The woman who took care of me was so attentive and got me as smooth as can be. Taught me some good tips, like using an alum bar after shaving to close the pores and stop any minor nicks. Will be heading back once a month for a shave.

I do agree in principle that a shave in a shop may not be as close and smooth as you get at home, but the overall experience is so worth it.

Try it, you'll like it.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Would like too do it but haven't seen any locally that do shaves?
Will have to keep looking!
Lynchy

Offline thatfella

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
@Lynchy-Mate I can help you out with that local info!! Moe's Barbershop in Woden and Ziggy's in Civic do the straight razor headshave. Haven't tried out Moe's, but did try Ziggy's a few years back and it was great

Enter your email address: