Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362680 times)

Offline savedslick

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #570 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
I need a routine I'm a blak male and I have always had trouble shaving with a razor and knowing which cream to buy as well as if I need to shave in the shower or what? Looking for all the help I can get thanks fellas.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #571 on: September 05, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
I need a routine I'm a blak male and I have always had trouble shaving with a razor and knowing which cream to buy as well as if I need to shave in the shower or what? Looking for all the help I can get thanks fellas.

I'd say that if you have troubles with a regular razor, then try the HeadBlade.  Watch the demo videos (on their site and on YouTube) to see the best way to use it.   Their shaving cream (HeadSlick) works well both in the shower and at the sink.

Offline AFCommGuy

« Reply #572 on: September 10, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
I shave in the shower with the water really hot and let my head soak for a few minutes. Once it's warmed up, I lather on some Vaseline moisturizer with aloe. It's a thinner weight moisturizer, helps lubricate the shave and I find that the razor doesn't clog as much. I shave against the grain all the way around, usually starting with the top of my head and getting the sides. Around the crown of my head I usually have to shave in a circular pattern to catch all the strange directions it grows.

Once I think I've gotten it all, I run the base of my hand (bottom of my thumb, the most sensitive part of my hand) all over. I clean up any missed spots at this point.

Next I use St. Ive's Invigorating Apricot Scrub to rub away any dead skin (I also have scalp psoraisis, shaving really helps!) and smooth out the noggin'. After that I dry off and if my head is feeling dry I put on a little Goldbonds heavy moisturizer (just a little).

Right now I only shave every other day. It's a hold over from when I first started over a year ago and my head couldn't handle the irritation every day. Right now the smoothness lasts about 6-10 hours. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Oh, and I love being a SBG! I've never gotten more compliments on my 'hairstyle' as when I shaved off all of that offending hair!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #573 on: September 10, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Sounds like your routine is working just fine for you ... and that's the key. Everyone's will be different. The important thing is to know when it's working and when it's not.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #574 on: September 10, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »
😃

Slynito

« Reply #575 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum, AFCommGuy. You do indeed have a good routine and some will learn from you. Enjoy the forum.

Offline Radocontact

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #576 on: September 17, 2012, 10:03:19 PM »
Shave routine at the moment! Still new (in the first month) at this but has been the best I've felt so far!

Put razor in Hydrogen Peroxide while waiting
Let hot water run on my head for 5 minutes.
Head and Shoulders Shampoo - Shower puff
St. Ives Apricot Scrub
4 drops of Shave Secret on the head, 1 on the blade
HeadSlick
Schick 3 Hydro
Shaved WTG
Ran head under cold water for a few minutes.
Put razor back in Hydrogen Peroxide

Witch Hazel on the head
Bump Patrol on
Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm

I felt absolutely no irritation afterwards. Previous irritation wasn't even a factor. Head isn't completely clear yet, but no added bumps! Only thing that was odd was that the Schick Hydro leaves a snotty residue while shaving. On the bright side, I think that was part of the reason it was such a smooth shape!

Offline Baldman

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald and Chargin!
« Reply #577 on: September 22, 2012, 06:21:07 PM »
Upon talking to some new friends and reading some of your guys posts I decided to radically change my routine. Just to see if other ways were better. So I went from:

Rinsing head applying Nivea gel
Against grain with Pro-Glide
Hot shower then Nivea after shave

To:

Hot shower St Ives Apricot Scrub
Natural conditioner for shaving with Mach 3
Cold rinse in the shower
Coconut Oil for an after rub
I also got some of the Bragg ACV that everyone is talking about

It went well, so we will see how it goes from here today was the first day. Thanks for all of the advice!
-Live Bald and Prosper

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #578 on: September 22, 2012, 10:48:04 PM »
I have kept pretty much the same routine now for the 5 months I have been BBC. The only things that I have added are Headscrub to wash well and the Headshed to exfoliate every other day. This seems to help keep things smooth. I change blades once a week.

Offline OMEGA1202

« Reply #579 on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
1. I shave in the shower with warm water.
2. I use the Schick Hydro 5
3. I use Nivea pre-shave scrub.
4. I later up with hair conditioner instead of shave cream (trust me give it a try). The conditioner that I found works best is Tresemme. It makes the hair soft and it's really slick, and doesn't dry up like other shave creams that I've used.
5. After that I use Loreal after shave balm with spf 15.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:38:19 AM by OMEGA1202 »

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #580 on: September 30, 2012, 08:41:26 AM »
4 drops of Shave Secret on the head, 1 on the blade

Might try that too - put a drop on the blade as well on the head. I use king of shaves pre-shave oil.

Great bald and beard look there !

Offline Falcon43

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #581 on: September 30, 2012, 10:42:34 AM »
I fill the sink with hot water to soak my shaving brush in while I take my shower.  After my shower I make a lather with a puck of MWF. I re-wet my face and lather my face and head. I give everything a WTG pass and re-wet and re-lather this time going XTG. I then take some of the later from my shaving brush and rub it on my head, feeling for spots that I have missed. Touch up as needed. I give everything a good rinse and dry then apply aftershave (currently Clubman).
Semper Fi! 
Tom

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #582 on: September 30, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
I use king of shaves pre-shave oil.

I've been thinking about getting the KOS oil, is it worth the cost?

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #583 on: October 15, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
Where do you get the oil?

Offline Piercedpikachu

• dancer, writer, musician, artist, lunatic
    • https://www.facebook.com/PiercedPika
« Reply #584 on: October 15, 2012, 07:39:02 PM »
heres my bad shaving method

This is the dreaded eyebrow shaver sticks that ive used to shave my Chelsea-cut for quite a while....

its got little serrated safety edges

its perfect for eyebrows

but on my head it requires QUITE a bit of pressure to shave off the hair (even if its wet...then again i do have coarse hair)

this is what i end up with.....bloody, fuzzy (freckled) head (the freckles were a gift from God  :) )

not a pretty sight  >:(

Thats why im lookin for a good pair of balding clippers....in about two weeks im gonna be getting the Wahl 5-Star Balding clippers because the reviews look good and it says it gets down pretty low to the head

i dont want to use a razor shaver because im afraid of it causing permanent hair thinning or loss....kinda like when leg-shaving (sorry for the gross talk of leg shaving)
\m/\m/