Author Topic: Religon  (Read 52245 times)

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Religon
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »
I am a Christian and I a member of Antioch Christian Church ( dont know if this allowed or not but give it a try... www.acclife.org ) We have over 1100 members.  We have attended ACC for about 5 years now but before that I was raised in a catholic church. 

Offline don

• Sly
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »
I'm Catholic and I remember in grammar school we went to church around Christmas and one song we sang was "Oh Come All Ye Faithful" and when it came to the line "Oh come let us adore him" one of the kids in the back shreiked "Cockadoodle Doo. He thought no one could hear him over the singing but the nun heard him and when Mass was over and we left the church the nun beat him mercilessly.

On another occasion we had to all stand in line to go to confession and when this one kid was in the confession box,a classmate of his reached underneath and pulled him out of the confessional by his legs.The Chinese priest then came out of the confessional and started yelling at the kids. It was so funny.I could tell you lots of stories about school and church.LOL.

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »
I was born in a Catholic Hospital, taught in elementary Catholic School, went for 1 year to a Catholic High School, and I go to a Baptist Church......

I would like to sing in the Choir, but they pay me cash not to......Can't blame them , I can't sing a lick...

I do go around to the elderly and disabled members, or whom ever else needs minor, and some major work done on their homes and try to help.. materials payed for by the church, and with donations from a couple of hardware and lumber places in town.

I do need to find a paint store that would be willing to donate some paint..........

Our church also cuts and splits about 250 cord of wood a year and give it to people for heat in their homes......

I am by no means a bible thumper, and as far as religion goes I feel that is between them and THEIR GOD......I just like helping people, even if I just go and talk to them when their lonely.......I've been there.
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Mike

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:46 AM »
Wow, its nice to see the different religions represented here. In our little town of 3000 people we have about 7 or 8 churches, the newest church is a Laestadian Luhran church, their group started with about 5 people from the East coast and they started building a church and now have over 200 members, its always nice to see a new place so accepted.
 The one thing I love about church is that I always feel so good afterwards. When I was younger we used to go to a Mormom church with my father and every once in a while we would go to the Catholic church with my mother. Even when I was younger I always felt great after church.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
A town of 3000 with 7 or 8 churches...Dang.

Offline time2shine

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 09:41:48 AM »
Christian here.  I attend a church called Mars Hill.  Mars Hill can be described as culturally liberal, but scripturally conservative.  I like the pastor because he teaches the bible in a way that's up front and not sugar coated.  Unfortunately, this place isn't the place to go if you're into the traditional culture.  The music is super contemporary, and bands cycle in and out each week with original music.
It's a breath of fresh air for me because I grew up in churches where you had to say the right thing, and there seemed to be an aura of judgementalness.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 09:53:48 AM »
I think part of what the responses in this thread shows is this:

You should go to Church where you are most comfortable.... it has to be a good fit for YOU if it's going to be Home for you.

I was in and out of two or three different types of Churches before I settled on the Presbyterian Church.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline The Zook

• One Blade Renegade
  • Super Sly
  • Collector O'Razors
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »
Humanist here! Finally figured out there was a name for my way of 'not believing' after a few years of coming to terms with it.

My wife is Christian and our kids are being raised that way as well. For me it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders to be free to tell others and not feel ashamed or that I would be seen as 'evil'.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 01:44:41 PM by Lucky13MN »

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 01:01:15 PM »
LuckyMan...you are just full of evil  LOL  No one should ever be afraid to express his beliefs.  I am glad this thread has went as smooth as it has

Offline captain blackleg

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 01:19:27 PM »
I grew up Christian but as I grew up I realized how awful the people in my church were, I stopped going at the age of 17. My parents also stopped. In college I took the opportunity to study a lot of religion and after a bit of a personal struggle came to the conclusion that I'm just not meant to be a true believer of any faith. I have a great respect for all religion as far as the history and literary significance is concerned. I also dig the fact it helps many people in their lives.

For myself however I find it all more of a subject of interest rather than a belief structure I live my life by.

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 04:23:44 PM »
Grew up in the Church of God (Pentecostal). I left church due to some disallusionment I had in my late teens and other than weddings or funerals I did not attend church for over 20 years. We now attend a non-denominational church that while having the traditional Christian message, it is one of the least judgemental churches I have attended. Our motto is "reaching people across the street and around the world." Sunday morning music is more like a rock concert and suits and ties have been traded for bermuda shorts, tshirts or as my pastor says....."we don't care how you come just make sure the essentials are covered up".  That being said I respect other traditions and without going into detail alot of "healing" I needed in the last few years came via New Thought teachings from individuals you may or may not have heard of...Dr. Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay, Echardt Tolle..to name a few.   
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline hammerdrill376

• Get your SLY on
  • Sly Bureau
    • Welcome to our little part on the web
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 04:33:43 PM »
Witty Quotes Haven: Church Bulletin
1.  "Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."
2.  Seen On a Church Bulletin: Thursday at 5:00 PM there will be a meeting of the Little Mothers Club. All ladies wishing to be "Little Mothers" will meet with the Pastor in his private study.
3.  "This being Easter Sunday, we will ask Mrs. Lewis to come forward and lay an egg on the altar."
4.  Scouts are saving aluminum cans, bottles, and other items to be recycled. Proceeds will be used to cripple children.
5.  Weight Watchers' will meet at 7 PM. Please use the double door at the side entrance.
6.  The eighth graders will be presenting Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in the church basement on Friday at 7 p.m. The congregation is invited to attend this tragedy.
7.  The Rev. Adams spoke briefly, much to the delight of his audience.
8.  Tuesday at 4:00 PM there will be an ice cream social. All ladies giving milk will please come early.
9.  "Remember in prayer the many who are sick of our church and community."
10.  The service will close with "Little Drops of Water." One of the ladies will start quietly and the rest of the congregation will join in
11.  The Low Self-Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 to 8:30 PM. Please use the back door.
12.  During a Minister's Illness: "God is good - Dr. Hargreaves is better."
13.  "For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a nursery downstairs."
14.  Pastor is on vacation. Massages can be given to the church secretary.
15.  The rosebud on the altar this morning is to announce the birth of David Alan Belzer, the sin of Rev. and Mrs. Julius Belzer.
16.  The preacher will preach his farewell message, after which the choir will sing, "Break Forth With Joy."
17.  Next Sunday a special collection will be taken to defray the cost of the new carpet. All those wishing to do something on the new carpet will come forward and do so.
18.  "This afternoon there will be a meeting in the South and North ends of the church. Children will be baptized at both ends."
19.  The choir invites any member of the congregation who enjoys sinning to join the choir.
20.  "Thursday night - Potluck supper. Prayer and medication to follow."
Our country demands all our strength, all our energies. To resist the powerful combination now forming against us will require every man at his place. If victorious we will have everything to hope for in the future. If defeated, nothing will be left for us to live for.

Gen. Robert E. Lee C.S.A

Offline Brkeatr

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 04:54:45 PM »
LOL....they are funny !!   :*)) :*))

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2008, 05:01:15 PM »
"The message board is broken. Come inside for his message."

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 07:29:53 PM »
Christian here.  I attend a church called Mars Hill.  Mars Hill can be described as culturally liberal, but scripturally conservative.  I like the pastor because he teaches the bible in a way that's up front and not sugar coated.  Unfortunately, this place isn't the place to go if you're into the traditional culture.  The music is super contemporary, and bands cycle in and out each week with original music.
It's a breath of fresh air for me because I grew up in churches where you had to say the right thing, and there seemed to be an aura of judgementalness.

I agree that Mars Hill is a great church.  While I don't attend there, I like a lot of what they do. I do occasionally visit.  One of their branches is 5 min down the street from my home.  Eventually, Time2Shine and myself plan to finally meet and go to a service there together.

In my first post on this subject, I should have put down the website for my church.  It is called Neighborhood Life Center.  It is in the suburb of SeaTac near the airport.  It has a great bunch of people!  www.nlcic.org .

Enter your email address: