Author Topic: WHERE were U during 9-11-01?  (Read 12732 times)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
WHERE were U during 9-11-01?
« on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
hello fellow chrome domes:  i can't believe that it will be  7 years since the 9-11 tragedy.  i always say a prayer 4 the victims & their loved ones that they left behind.  i will never 4get where i was during that tragedy.  i remember like it was yesterday.  at the time... i was at  the barbershop (pre-sly) & everyone was "glued" 2 the tv set.  that's when we witnessed the 2nd plane crash into the other tower.  we R in "shock" & disbelief.  it was like watching a movie only it was real.  i was "glued" 2 the tv the whole day & when i saw my wife... i immediately hugged her tight & i called all my family & friends 2 let them know that i loved them.

so... how 'bout U?  where were U during 9-11?  do U remember it like it was yesterday?  also... 2 my sly brothers who do not live in the good ole USA... what were your thoughts of that day?  what's your story?

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: WHERE were U during 9-11-01?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »
Yes, It is hard to believe that it will soon be 7 years since that day.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  At the time I was working for a national transportation carrier.  I was alway in the office early and had been at my desk for a couple of hours when the office began to stir with the news of what was happening.  I just remember the sense of helplessness that we all felt and the uncertainty of what was going to happen next.

It is very hard to believe that we have come 7 years forward from that time.  It really will be a day that I will never be able to forget.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 08:37:53 PM »
I was at work.  My grandmother called and told me a plane had hit the big building in NYC; I kept asking which one.  All she had picked up was that it was the big, tall building next to the big, tall building (the only humor in the day).  About that time, my manager's wife called.  He came out and switched the monitor to TV Mode.  We all stood watching it in shock - and in greater shock as the second plane crashed into the other WTC tower.  Reports started coming in about the Pennsylvannia and Pentagon Crashes.  It was unreal.

I remember on one of several calls that morning, my grandmother saying, "This is Pearl Harbor Day all over." (Her generation's 9-11).  She later called back and said. "This is worse than Pearl Harbor.  The men at Pearl Harbor were in the military.   They knew of the dangers of war.  These are innocent civilians at work."

We closed the offices at noon and went home.  Atlanta streets were eerily quiet.  I spent the day glued to the TV.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
I worked for The Sports Authority Corporate Finance in Fort Lauderdale, FL

In the background I had a little radio tuned to NPR news every day....news that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.   I assumed it was just a major screw up by someone in a private plane.

Then it all started to unfold.   NPR was broadcasting live from the Pentagon when that plane hit....THAT was FREAKY...you could hear it in the background...and the reporter flipped out

.....it was then announced "America is under attack."

Dark day, man
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:20:45 PM by Robmeister »

Offline slyinglide

• Give till it hurts!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Work hard, Play harder, Love Often
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
I was an ower/operator of my own truck, and I had just woken up in Alturas California........I turned on the radio and heard it as it happened......I was glued to the radio all the way to Portland Oregon.  I arrived at Portland that evening, and turned on my TV. and watched the news........I cried that night.....Will never forget it.
I was told to think outside the box, how did I get in the box in the first place?

Offline BlackJamesRackham

• Sly Bucco
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 08:51:40 PM »
Senior year of high school...statistics class
Rockin' "Sly" since 2008

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »
I was in Indianapolis at Riley Childrens Hospital where we had my son Logan up there running some test on him. I remember sitting next to my wife at his bedside and looked at her and said..we have been here for 3 days and I am going stir crazy.  If something doesnt happen soon Im going to go nuts.  Just then we get a call from my mother in law and she mentioned to Kris that a plane just crashed in NYC.  So we flip on the tv thinking it was just a freak accident.  We were watching in disbelief when suddenly we see the second plane hit.  I remember my self feeling helpless and what was going to happen next.  We just couldnt believe what we were watching unfold right before our eyes.  After a few minutes when they said they were grounding all planes I had walked outside to the patio area and it was amazing, in the middle of INDY you could actually hear the birds chirping and the sound of all the airplanes coming in. It was an amazing sight to see how fast they landed all those planes in a instant.  A day we will never forget.

GASlick

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »
I was working at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta.  The only TV we had was in the waiting room and there had to have been 50 people crowded in there.  It was after I got off at 4pm and got home that I was able to watch any TV.  My wife and I were expecting our first baby in December and I remember rubbing her tummy and wondering what kind of world we were bringing our child into.

I left the hospital at 4 and you wouldn't believe the traffic.  There was NONE!  It was like midnight on Sunday all the way home.  All of the skyscrapers in Atlanta had emptied and rush hour was at like 10 am.  On the way home, I drove by the Atl airport and there were planes parked EVERYWHERE.  I mean everywhere.  It was just surreal.  I cried so hard that afternoon and night.  Couldn't sleep, just glued to the TV.

Still makes me sad  :'( and angry  >:( to think about it.  People say they can't stand to watch it, but I think we all should watch it to remind us that there are people in the world that don't like us very much.

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:55:55 PM »
I was at Discount Auto Parts Venice Fl, I was the store manager and One of my customers and friend came in and told us what was going on, we didn't believe him until we turned on the radio. It was horrible and a very helpless feeling fell over me. Then I got very angry after all the news about the guys that did this knowing I had seen them at the local clubs.

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 09:56:49 PM »
Oh dont lie Nomad....you were playing hookie that day and you thought your boss was out on a rampage looking for ya..

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 09:58:59 PM »
Oh dont lie Nomad....you were playing hookie that day and you thought your boss was out on a rampage looking for ya..

I could only wish I was playing hookie

Offline c16188

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »
It was early afternoon here in Germany. I was sitting at my desk in the office, when a colleague told to watch the news. I couldn't believe it and it was impossible to go on working. I returned home, switched on TV, and it was like a horror film and I cried. Some years ago I had spent some days in NYC and I was on top of WTC, moreover I've spent 2 months at Washington DC. Now all comes back. It was a nightmare for me and still today I can't support it when they repeat on TV the attacks on the WTC in NYC.
I feel with all of you in the USA and not only me.
best regards to you
Volker 

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
I have always wondered what the other countries thougth about it...and how they reacted.  Everyone thinks it just happened to us, in all actuality....it affected everyone world wide.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 10:38:48 PM »
I have always wondered what the other countries thougth about it...and how they reacted.  Everyone thinks it just happened to us, in all actuality....it affected everyone world wide.
I really think, if not but for a brief moment, the entire world was American.  This entire sphere was suddenly composed of all New Yorkers.  We were all in Pennsylvania.  We were all in DC.  The world suddenly became much smaller.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 10:40:50 PM »
much smaller.  i sometimes sit back and wonder...which was worse...9/11 or the JFK Shooting

Enter your email address: