Author Topic: HT Scar Treatments/Camouflage  (Read 1749 times)

Offline JR414

• Learning the way of Sly
HT Scar Treatments/Camouflage
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
Good afternoon everyone.

I'm an HT patient considering shaving my head. Problem is, I have two scars - one 1/2" wide scar and a smaller 1/4" scar - in the back of my head. So, for the past two weeks I've been looking at options with regard to concealing the scar via products like Microskin or Dermablend, as well as looking at skin treatments like dermabrasion or Fraxel laser therapy to diminish the scar so it'll be easier to conceal. Also considering SMP to fill in the scars and buzz cut my hair.

when I look at the scar, there's a then strip of what looks to be light grey/pink, slightly stretched scar tissue, surrounded by my white skin. The reason that I'm posting here is that I want to share a recent conversation I had with an HT doc when I had a consultation about the possibility of filling in the scar via FUE and see if this sounds familiar to any other HT patients who've looked to conceal their scar.

First of all, let me just say I've had 5 procedures which ranged from small to regular sessions (300 grafts was the smallest and two procedures of about 1000 grafts) Plus I had scar reduction surgery when one of the procedures stretched out the scar. So I am not really liking the idea of another scar reduction to further diminish the area.

So I went into the doc's office, he looked at my scar and said that SMP was the only option. He said that the scar was "porcelain white" - whiter than my scalp. When I asked about dermabrasion or Fraxel, he said they would do nothing. When I asked about concealer, he said it'd help a little, but there would still be a rectangular patch outlined by the hair in the back of my head. He recommended a doc who does SMP. So I'm actually scheduling a phone consultation with him.

Here's what I'm kind of confused about:

1. Even though I said completely shaving my head was an option for me, I don't think he understood I mean completely shaving every day... no stubble, no shadow.

2. I don't know why he called the scar porcelain white when I see a distinct light pink discoloration when I look at it in the mirror. When I told him what i see, he basically said, no. it's white. So why would concealing it with something like microskin not work?

3. How could it be that dermabrasion, Fraxel, etc. could do NOTHING for it?

This is a very well known HT doc in our area with a good reputation... and he is a physician, so I don't want to brush off what he said, but there are a few things that didn't add up. So wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience when looking to diminish or conceal their HT scar.

What's your experience been like? Has anyone ever heard anything like what this doc said?

I have an appointment with a dermatologist in a month, so I'll get his assessment, but wanted to get some feedback from guys who might have experienced this. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 02:06:34 PM by JR414 »

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
Re: HT Scar Treatments/Camouflage
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
Sorry no experience with your problem , but a second opinion is a good idea.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: HT Scar Treatments/Camouflage
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 08:47:02 PM »
Hello J.R. (me again, LOL)

I'm assuming that this is a regular physician that you saw.While they have a wealth of knowledge,  a dermatologist may be better suited to serve your needs. When I was having issues with keloids and cysts back in late 2011/early 2012, all my doctor kept giving me was more creams than I care to count. But the dermatologist discovered that I was allergic to certain foods and he perfomed surgery and I haven't had issues since. You should  go see a dermatologist and tell him your issue and what you're looking for. As far as SMP, if you go that route, you will have to keep your hair short but after a few sessions, the ink should conceal your scars. Good luck and feel free to PM me if needed.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: