Author Topic: Alopecia Areata Strikes  (Read 3263 times)

Offline hairandgone

• Learning the way of Sly
Alopecia Areata Strikes
« on: November 25, 2016, 04:21:54 PM »
Hello all.  I came across this site whilst searching for answers on my diagnosed alopecia areata. 

Rewind for a quick bit of history, I had staved off MPB for almost 7 years with finasteride and as such was able to maintain reliably my cherished wild Asian hair.  Things were stable until a few months ago when I started to notice patches of round smooth bald spots popping up along with diffuse shedding.  After exhausting topical treatments, I'm now getting steroid injections.  I don't know when if ever my hair will return.  The daily shedding is maddening and making it difficult to cover up my patches.

At 37 years of age, I can accept MPB but alopecia areata is truly devastating and frustrating due to its unpredictable nature.  I'm grateful that it isn't a life threatening condition; however, it still hurts. 

The shedding is also compounded by patchy scalp irritation and mild dandruff.  I'm at the point where I just can't go on being afraid of my own hair and wanting to be done with it all.  I feel like I'm a prisoner by my own distressed follicles.  If my hair one day returns or a treatment is released--great, but until then, I hate feeling helpless and out of control.

I never thought having a shaved head would ever suit me but it seems that I may have no other choice soon.  I'm scared, panicked and exhausted.  I'm concerned about the smooth pink alopecia patches after the hair goes... Thanks for reading my rant.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
Re: Alopecia Areata Strikes
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 06:39:03 PM »
I can't imagine putting all those chemicals on and in your body, can't be good for you.

Being bald isn't the end of the world. Heck, many of us have a full head of hair, but choose to shave it all off because we like it. It's a huge change, but shaved heads are common and in style now. I don't think that will change anytime soon.

Only you can make that decision, but remember you're asking advice from men that already shave their head, and most of us like it. Good luck in whatever you do.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 10:34:56 PM »

I never thought having a shaved head would ever suit me but it seems that I may have no other choice soon.  I'm scared, panicked and exhausted.  I'm concerned about the smooth pink alopecia patches after the hair goees ...

I know it sucks, but the bottom line is, as you said, you have no choice in the matter. You will have to shave your head.  You don't have to like it but you do have to accept that it's your only viable option.  It's normal to be nervous about it but it won't be as bad as you think.  As for the smooth pink patches -- maybe there is some foundation makeup you can use to cover them up? Even if you can't, your head will still look better shaved than with patchy hair loss.  There's really no escaping that.

The agonizing that precedes a head shave is far worse than the deed itself.  I encourage you to do it as soon as possible so you can start to put all of this behind you.  We're here to provide moral support.

Good luck and keep us posted.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:02:26 PM by Razor X »

Offline hairandgone

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the insight.  I would have to agree that bald would look better than a scalp looking like it was stricken with mange.

I will keep you all posted!

Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:04:44 PM »

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 01:36:43 PM »
Hairandgone, how are things going?  Did you end up shaving?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.