Author Topic: New to the Site  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Magpul

• Learning the way of Sly
New to the Site
« on: November 06, 2016, 12:56:25 AM »
Hello everyone.  Thought I'd say hi.

I started losing my hair at 17 1/2.  At first I thought it was just due to stress, but the shedding just never stopped.  I fought it for as long as I could with Minox and Propecia until I was 21, then at the age of 22 I said screw it and started shaving it.  I probably could have held on to it for longer than I did, but I got bad sides from Propecia (brain fog being the biggest) so I dropped it and decided to start shaving. 

Going through that at such a young age took a hit on my self-esteem.  I never thought I would be able to find a girl who would like me because of it.  But time went on, and my facial hair also started coming in, and I can grow a pretty mean beard now when I let it grow out. I will say that getting in the gym and putting on muscle was huge for me, and really increased my confidence to the point where I don't even think about hair loss anymore. 

As I side note, I've gotten a lot more attention from girls compared to the days when I was skinny and had thick long hair.  I attracted my dream girl who was 22 when I was 28, and even though I lost her due to my own stupidity and ignorance, it had nothing to do with being bald.  Girls younger and older than me don't mind at all!  Confidence in yourself is a huge part of being bald.

Glad to be here and looking forward to reading!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: New to the Site
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:58:38 AM »
Welcome to SBG!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Magpul

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:05:05 AM »
Thanks admin!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 05:54:31 AM »
Welcome aboard!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 08:03:09 AM »
Welcome!

My story is similar except i didn't fight the hair loss, I just hoped it would slow down or stop. I never saw a point in dumping over marketed and over advertised chemicals on my head with side affects that unfortunately you had to experience... maybe I should have tried, I don't know!

I started thinning on the entire top of my head since I was about 17 as well. I don't have a exact year or date, I'm a live in the NOW kind of person, but I have watched it fade thinner over the years. Now In my early twenties I decided to stop trying to figure out what to do - long versus short haircut? Comb it or spike it? Styling putty or hair spray? Hat or no hat? Windows down or windows up? Sunroof open or sunroof closed?

Just got sick of trying to cling to something that's meant to go it would seem, so I buzzed it with no attachments and used my electric shaver to go skin smooth.

I have had a few self questionings since then (it's been 8 days exactly, to the hour!) but never seriously considered growing it back out. Even if I have doubt of how I like being bald, I remember the alternatives and I prefer this much more.

Thankfully however I'm really enjoying it. It's so liberating, and build confidence a lot!

Thanks for your story and once again welcome!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »
Welcome!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:46:37 AM »
By the way, your beard is epic

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:08:17 AM »
You do have a great beard......I have thought about a beard myself but have always had the goatee. 

Offline Magpul

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it and the welcomes!  I think all the hair on my head just traveled south to my face  ;D

Pangolin congrats on deciding to keep it shaved, it's liberating and after time you won't even think about it anymore if you don't already.  Thanks for your story.

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
You do have a great beard......I have thought about a beard myself but have always had the goatee.

Oh man just do it! Your face would look great with a full beard or at least full sideburns and a 1" chinstrap connecting to your goatee. Just try it and see what you think! Ill bet a lot of people will like it!

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »

Oh man just do it! Your face would look great with a full beard or at least full sideburns and a 1" chinstrap connecting to your goatee. Just try it and see what you think! Ill bet a lot of people will like it!
[/quote]

Thanks man, I might just do it.  I wasn't sure how it would look on my face or if I had a great shape to work with on a beard!

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:49:15 AM »
You can pretty much never go wrong with a beard... all ethnicities, all ages, all demographics, all personalities have some sort of beard that works great with them. Never know unless you try! :D

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
Good Lord!  Why would anyone that good looking want hair to detract attention?

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »
Good Lord!  Why would anyone that good looking want hair to detract attention?

Referring to OP? Haha

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »
Welcome Magpul
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: