Author Topic: What your tattoos mean to you  (Read 10590 times)

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
What your tattoos mean to you
« on: August 22, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
I'm a big believer that if you're going to get a tattoo or tattoos they should have meaning.  Not just, "well that looks cool".  I have 2 tattoos (and more planned).  The first one is a celtic cross.  This celebrates both my faith in my Lord Jesus Christ, as well as my celtic heritage.  The second is the Serenity Prayer.  Being part of a recovery ministry it has great significance to me. 

What do your tattoos mean to you?

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
Re: What your tattoos mean to you
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:57:10 AM »
Serenity Prayer didn't appear in the previous post.  Here it is:

Offline Riddik

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »
I also think that tattoos should mean something to you otherwise it makes no sense getting the. I have one tattoo (also more planned) a guardian angel. When I was a kid I almost drowned, but something pushed me up and I survived, so I think it was my guardian angel. When I was 17 I got this tat and it really means a lot to me. It looks like this:

https://tattoozza.com/angel-tattoos

Sorry? I don't have an appropriate pic, but this one is very similar to mine

Offline Cardelli

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 05:53:21 AM »
Sorry but i don't agree at all with the statement that a tattoo need to have a deeper meaning or there is no point in getting them. Almost all of my tattoos (except 2) I got because I like the way they look, I get a certain feeling when I look at them, it make me happy. It's art, I have someones ideas and thoughts on my body forever just that is reason enough to get them. Saying a tattoo needs to have a deeper meaning is like saying you can't buy a painting or a photogrph just becaue you like to look at it. Anyways i really like your tattoos.

Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 10:47:27 AM »
Serenity Prayer didn't appear in the previous post.  Here it is:

Nice!...I really like your tattoo!

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 10:09:28 AM »
Sorry but i don't agree at all with the statement that a tattoo need to have a deeper meaning or there is no point in getting them. Almost all of my tattoos (except 2) I got because I like the way they look, I get a certain feeling when I look at them, it make me happy. It's art, I have someones ideas and thoughts on my body forever just that is reason enough to get them. Saying a tattoo needs to have a deeper meaning is like saying you can't buy a painting or a photogrph just becaue you like to look at it. Anyways i really like your tattoos.

I meant no offense.   Having meaning is something that I apply to myself.  Everyone has reasons of their own for getting their ink.  As long as it makes you happy that's what really counts. 

Offline Cardelli

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 04:26:11 PM »
No offense taken at all :) And es being happy with your tattoos is what counts!  O0
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 03:34:27 PM »
I may have told this story in here before but here goes anyway.
I have had a grizzly bear on my right deltoid for years. When my dad was dying of cancer in the early 90s I started having these nightmares of being chased by a bear. The venues changed, for example, one of the places he chased me was on a riverboat, sometimes it was an abandoned building or out in the woods. Even after he died the nightmares continued. One of my friends at the time was a guy who was Blackfeet and was regarded as a shaman within his circle. I told him about the dreams and asked him how I could maybe reduce or eliminate them as they were causing some sleep disturbances. He told me that I had to make the bear my ally. I asked him how I should go about that and in true shamanic fashion he replied "how the F**K do I know?". So one day I was sitting around the house with nothing to do. I was tired because I was being visited by the bear every night and a light went on and I thought, YEAH! I'll get him tattooed on me. So I wasted no time getting to my local tattoo parlor. The bear was flash but it was a black bear, I had the artist change the color to brown and had him put it on me. That night I went to bed and it was the first time in about 2 years that I didn't have the nightmare and have not had one since and it's been over 10 years. 
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 03:40:33 PM »
Awesome tattoo story.  I wonder if I tattoo'd my bill collector on my back he'd stop chasing me.   ;D

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 06:31:18 AM »
Is a good story buddha.  Socknoggle, that's funny!!! ;D

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »
I'm currently getting a sleeve done. It has a nautical feel because of my love of living on the coast of Devon. It also have a theme of hope running through it including some lyrics from a song called Machines by Biffy Clyro on the other side (Not Pictured) More will be added in the coming weeks. Can't wait. The lighthouse symbolises hope in respect to there always is a light in the darkness if you know how to find it.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:41:50 AM by Adamski1972 »

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:34:01 PM »
Lifelong passion for railways and in particular, the shinkansen

Offline jbrit25

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:12 AM »
I have a compass on my back that is related to my family. But I also have a 3/4 sleeve that means I like tattoos, and I think that they look cool. Honestly I just appreciate the artistic part of it.
Roll Tide!
COYS!