Author Topic: Calorie Restriction, anyone try it?  (Read 6460 times)

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
Calorie Restriction, anyone try it?
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:27:15 PM »
I hear calorie restriction is good for us (my aunt is a health nut) not needing to loose a bunch of weight (and probably good for those of us that do?) .. so I now have a juicer and eat around 600 cas for two days along with it. I could probably do 500 and be fine (I weight ~ 130lbs) The other days I eat normally but still use the juicer. So far, I'm feeling just fine and the juice puts me in a very good/energetic mood. I'll admit though, I don't eat enough veggies so maybe that's how I'm supposed to feel?

Anyone here have any long term experience with calorie restriction or have tried it?

I should mention what prompted me to do this other than a crazy relative. I just turned 30, I don't party nearly as often as I use to and I'm not getting out as much as I like. I've been thinking I need to get myself healthy so I am, little by little.

I've read vegetable juices are a great way to quit smoking as vegetables in larger quantities make cigs taste nasty ... and so I combined it with the calorie restriction. The vegies def. made the cigs taste like crap and burn my throat so I'm pretty near no cigs at all and I'll be not smoking at all by the end of the week. I have a small bit of fat on my stomach and that's the worst place to have it I guess so I'm hoping this will help take care of it, at least until I can get out more and get some real exercise lol

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
Re: Calorie Restriction, anyone try it?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:11:06 PM »
Quitting smoking == good (very good)

Not eating a balanced diet == doesn't sound quite so good

No disrespect to your aunt, but health nuts are sometimes named that for a good reason. I'd consult your doctor or a registered dietician if you want to find out what the proper amount of nutrition someone your size and age actually requires to remain healthy.

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:03:06 AM »
I'd be cautious doing that. Definitely not something to do for multiple days, as your body will put itself into "starvation" mode, and will slow the metabolism to next to nothing.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:44 AM »
600 calories isn't enough to maintain your health.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 11:15:14 AM »
OoO its not everyday! Two days a week..  I'd starve if it were more, at least I think I would, even if the other days your supposed to be able to eat anything you want.. I just try not to eat a bunch of junk food regardless. You guys def. gave me some things to think about.

I guess I'll tread lightly for now and try this a cpl wks.. if anything, I'll be in the habit of drinking down vegi juices which can't be all that bad  O0

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »
On a similar diet myself. Lost 3 stone in a year. No juice though. Just limited calories, no eating after 5pm and nothing before 9am.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 03:17:19 PM »
My suggestion would be to reduce your daily caloric intake by eliminating / controlling certain things like refined sugars and starches rather than the "fasting" approach you are taking.  The body has a way of trying to compensate for mixed signals like the alternating between normal and low caloric intakes.  Sometimes the adverse affects of diets aren't obvious until many years later.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
What about a modified take on it? Take your total calories for the week and subtract the 1200 (600 x 2) and then decide that by seven. I know that if I tried two days at 600 calories, I'd be starving and cranky. Also, I'd likely binge a little each day after the "starve" days. That's my take on it.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Ashtad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
What about a modified take on it? Take your total calories for the week and subtract the 1200 (600 x 2) and then decide that by seven. I know that if I tried two days at 600 calories, I'd be starving and cranky. Also, I'd likely binge a little each day after the "starve" days. That's my take on it.

With all the juicing, 600 calories seems like a lot.. I didn't feel a need to binge or even that hungry. My juicer isn't the best so there's some pulp in the juice too.. I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I like your suggestion.. Just create a slight calorie deficit for the week and I should be fine.

You have to realize that days when I'm trapped behind a computer screen I'm not really needing as much energy as if I were going to go for a hike. Those days according to all those calorie calculator things has me requiring 1760-1800 cals. Otherwise getting out and actually doing something it was around 2273+. These are to maintain my current weight vs loosing it... Subtracting the 1200 for the week would be around 1589 calories. I'm only 5'5" so I litterally just don't need as much as most ppl.

In any event, I've learned that juicing at home gives you an energy boost. I've also been thinking that It's not that I don't eat vegetables (and not even ENOUGH sometimes) but that they are always cooked. I'm thinking the raw veggies gives a better kick :D

Thanks for all the input guys!

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 05:15:30 PM »
If you havesn iPhone orothersmart phone download the app "my fitness pro". It's an AWESOME app that knows most any menu from restaurants and if you home cook, scan the barcode on your food and it knows everything. Last week I went toApplebee's and had the Burbon street streak, I typed in "Applebee's steak" and it knew all the nutritional information for it. Let me know if you try it. I've lost 11 lbs. you can even network with friends, my username is "aztrey"
AKA Gimpy