Author Topic: Bald by choice man struggling  (Read 24978 times)

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
Re: Bald by choice man struggling
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Never let loved ones, relatives, co-workers or friends decide your haircut for you. I have had some feedback from older people ( lets say over 60) that I should grow whatever hair I have. In their earlier years they were programmed that hair is prized and to be there. In recent decades that has changed, they just haven't. It s a contemporary haircut today. Perhaps in your local area there may be less sly guys but in urban areas it is quite common. Older people may just not realize that yet. In any case don't be a victim of anyone else's ideas or limits or programming on men having hair. Consider this a change for yourself and that perhaps will make you evaluate other areas differently where you have been pleasing others and not yourself.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Hey man, Wow - I was just going to start a post like this myself- been BBC for 1 year and 2 months - family were not big fans - then it sort of just quieted down. Last week suddenly a major resurgence of how it does not look good and why do I want to keep doing it since I am not in the least bald.  So here I am loving the BBC look and now increased pressure-it doesn't feel good to be criticized- I so get your post. Lets try to keep shaving and see what develops. Just glad this forum is here.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »
Hey man, Wow - I was just going to start a post like this myself- been BBC for 1 year and 2 months - family were not big fans - then it sort of just quieted down. Last week suddenly a major resurgence of how it does not look good and why do I want to keep doing it since I am not in the least bald.  So here I am loving the BBC look and now increased pressure-it doesn't feel good to be criticized- I so get your post. Lets try to keep shaving and see what develops. Just glad this forum is here.

It's your head.  It's your hairstyle. Bald looks really good and is an option for guys (and a few ladies), although more common for the guys.

A simple, "I like it this way", or "I like the smooth feel of my head" should be sufficient.

Offline pjm789

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »
Well, you've already made the choice to shave, so just follow your gut feeling.  Only you can make the choice.  If you're not happy with your appearance you can change, but don't let others decide for you.  Good luck.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »
isn't it funny that "friends" think its ok to criticise...I mean comment when someone shaves their head?..not the regular comment when you have your hair cut...if they even notice...but shave and they start queuing up! none of my close friends said much at all, a few acquaintance's made the odd comment...anything negative was thrown straight back...which shut them up....family is another matter....you cant pick them...deal with it or ignore it....my sister, who comments on EVERYTHING. ..did try....but I just pointed out that I have never mentioned her hair choices lol...if you want to shave....shave...be confident. ..stand up for your choices if you feel you have too....though most people stop commenting when they realise you aren't listening

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2013, 10:33:06 AM »
Many folks actually have rather short memories.  After a while the shaved look "becomes" you (in, I suppose, both senses) and the old you becomes indistinct.  Then they move on to carping over recent new things about you that annoy them.

Too bad we can't crush these folks like bugs.

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
German you are so right- I will keep you posted-

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 04:06:29 PM »
I'm also BBC, and love it. Some people have asked why I would shave my head bald when I have a full head of silver grey hair. Well, I just respond, "I like it and think it looks cool". End of conversation. Guess I really don't care what anyone thinks, but I do enjoy all the positive comments. I'm surprised at all the comments from gal who think it is sexy. Like the other guys said, a lot of it is in the attitude. I can't go anywhere around here without seeing numerous guys with shaved heads. Went to a car show last Saturday and lost count at 60 sly guys. If shaving makes you happy, go for it!
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
Bottom line is the only opinion that matters is yours. Most people who try it like it.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline jarheadj

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 11:40:58 PM »
Dude, I totally understand your perspective. I got a short buzz cut when I was in high school  (I wasn't tryin to be a rebel, I was just in JROTC in high school and a lot of the guys had military cuts and I wanted to try it out), went home and my parents made such a big deal out of it that it made me so ashamed and embarrassed. What was I thinking?!?!?! Fast forward a few years, joined the Marine Corps (of course, got my head shaved in boot camp) and got married. I know my wife loves my hair. It's very thick, wavy and I'm blessed to have such a nice head of hair however prefer to be BBC. Obviously, I kept my hair within Marine Corps standard over the course of my career but grew the top out from time to time just to appease my wife. I took whatever opportunity that came available to slick it back down. Deployments, exercises, military schools...I used these as "excuses" to explain to my wife that a shaved head would be more practical and easier to maintain while I was gone. After I retired last year, she was one of the first to say; "finally, you can grow your hair out now." and for over a year, I grew it but hated the hair every day. It gets in the way, you have to mess with it before you can even leave the house and at my age, you have to color it to cover the grey...just a pain to deal with. Finally this week, with the prompting of my son, we went to the barber shop and had it slicked back down, straight razor shave and all and for the first time in over a year, I felt IN CONTROL again. This is my head, and this is the way I like it the best. My wife?? just kinda indifferent and accepting as she knew I was tired of the hair however my Mom, once she saw the pics of FB, went ballistic!!! I mean, I'm 44. I haven't lived at home in 24 years and yet she still feels like she has influence on these matters. That's when I finally decided that I'm probably gonna keep it BBC for the rest of my life. I like it, it's me and if the folks around me don't like it then they don't have to shave their heads!!! It's that simple. Be true to YOU and the rest will follow.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 01:34:20 AM by jarheadj »

Offline balddaniel

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 02:15:34 PM »
Jarheadj

"VERY WELL SAID!"

Offline gadgetwizard

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »
Wow I just read this post and I thought what if I had had the same reactions. I haven't in fact so far I have nothing but compliments.But I think I would still feel the same about myself.

Shaving my head makes me feel strong, clean, smart and confident. I have approached work and social life in a different way. I make a stand, feel stronger and make positive decisions.

One thing I will say. You look great with a shaved head.

Stand tall, be confident, draw from the inner strength that making the bald desision gave you.

Look around this forum and feel part of something different.

You made a choice to try being bald and if it makes you feel good, project that feeling at others they'll soon get the message.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:07:46 AM by gadgetwizard »

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 11:05:16 AM »
You could just say this.....
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline U8myburger

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
As someone who is very new to being sly... I just want to say you rock the look! The choice is completely yours but sly wears you well.
Paul

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 06:16:26 AM »
Hey guys

Well I've been a bit quiet on the forum but have been logging in quite frequently and touching base with some fellow sly mates in my local area and just wondering how the heck do I ever become comfortable as a bald by choice sly guy?? I want this look and lifestyle so much but find so much resistance from everyone that I almost feel that I should give in to growing my hair back to a look I don't want! The struggle has been the inconsistency and convenience as I feel like there are certain periods where people don't care and other times where people feel like voicing their opinion on my bald by choice look. Any advice?????

One of our SBG members posted this up and this video definitely shows how one can gain confidence about one self.  I don't know about you but once you have embraced your baldness than you should not give a crap about what others think.  Please your self first and the others will follow.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!