Author Topic: Shortest plastic clipper comb/guard  (Read 39437 times)

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
Shortest plastic clipper comb/guard
« on: November 04, 2012, 05:36:53 AM »
I prefer to clip my hair with some type of plastic comb guard attached and for about a year or so I have been using Wahl Balding clippers with the wahl #0.5 guard which cuts at 1/16".   Then I came across an article saying that the shortest possible cut with a plastic clipper guard is the Speed-O-Guide 000 guard which cuts at 1/32".   I purchased it and noticed that it looks larger than the Wahl #0.5 attachment and even though it is supposed to cut at 1/32" it seems to be not even getting as close as the Wahl #0.5 which is supposed to be a longer cut at 1/16".   To add further to my confusion, I then came across this chart(http://www.spilo.com/media/COMPARISON%20CHART.pdf) which says that the Speed-O-Guide 000 guard is the equivalent of a Wahl #1 guard.   How can this be the case when a Wahl #1 cuts at 1/8" and the Speed-O-Guide 000 is supposed to cut at 1/32"?   I have compared the Speed-O-Guide 000 attachment with the Wahl #1 attachment and they do indeed look very similar.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Shortest plastic clipper comb/guard
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 06:26:07 AM »
Once you get down to 1/16" or 1/32", there is no perceptible difference. Once you get that short you really need to just shave everything off. It feels a lot better than a scalp full of sandpaper.  :)

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:38:27 AM »
I have been using the Wahl Balding Clippers with no guard and wouldn't let the difference annoy me like that. The Wahl does just fine but if push is coming to shove I would do what Razor X suggests.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:05:23 AM »
I have shaved my head before but I've been told I look better with some stubble.   I also have some scars on my scalp that are currently healing so I dont wanna go totally bald until they have healed and are less red.

Offline thebbqguy

• Sly
    • Get Your Prep On
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »
I use the Wahl Balding Clippers with and without the guard regularly. After cutting myself once when not using the guard, I now feel more comfortable using it. Of course I do shave my head in the warmer months.

I like to mix it up. It keeps my co-workers off balance :-)
TheBBQGuy

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
I have heard that the shortest you can shave w/Clippers is 1/32", I don't know if that is w/ or w/o a guard.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
That's without the guard.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 06:28:29 AM »
Once you get down to 1/16" or 1/32", there is no perceptible difference. Once you get that short you really need to just shave everything off. It feels a lot better than a scalp full of sandpaper.  :)

Razor X has a good point

They say hair grows about 3mm a week so if you use the baldfader with no comb (or shave), less than two days later your hair will have grown out to 1/32 and three to four days later it will be 1/16
Plus if you use a Baldfader direct it cuts so well compared to when it is used with a comb
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline homeboy

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 09:58:40 PM »
I have shaved my head before but I've been told I look better with some stubble.   I also have some scars on my scalp that are currently healing so I dont wanna go totally bald until they have healed and are less red.

I am in a similar situation. I use the clippers with no comb for my head. Perfect. But for my face, I'd like some stubble. With no comb it's too close, and with 1/16 it's too long, so I'd like 1/32.

Offline SWvic

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 06:16:51 AM »
Simple low cost solution: take the guard off the clippers