Author Topic: Lurking Members  (Read 16804 times)

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Lurking Members
« on: September 19, 2012, 08:40:57 AM »
Ever go to a party and you're alone, surrounded by people having a good time chatting and laughing?

We've got SBG registered members, who have been members for years, who actively read the forums on a regular basis, and have never posted a message.

I don't understand that.

Initially I was drawn here for the information available, and it was about a week before I actually registered and started posting.

But now, the reason I am drawn here is because of the people I've come to know and the opportunity to interact with them.

To me, it's like knowing you should go Sly, but you don't. And thus you miss out on the incredible freedom from hair issues, the surge in self-confidence, and the overall change in your outlook on life.

By lurking but not participating, you miss the opportunity to share your views, encourage others, discuss an issue you are having, or generally add to the party.

I just don't understand that.

[P.S. -- If any Lurking Members would like to respond but are not comfortable posting here, send me a PM.]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:44:28 AM by FrontierGuy »

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Slynito

Re: Lurking Members
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
FG, I've wondered about this myself. I'm certain that readers have questions, comments and even suggestions when they read a post about our personal experiences. Oh well, I reckon they'll join in when they're ready. Right. FG?

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 09:21:41 AM »
FG, I've wondered about this myself. I'm certain that readers have questions, comments and even suggestions when they read a post about our personal experiences. Oh well, I reckon they'll join in when they're ready. Right. FG?

Right Slynito.  In the meantime everyone loses the opportunity to connect.

Each in his own time.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
You can lead a bald man to the barber, but you can't make him shave......
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:16:51 AM »

Good one Mike.  I am a "bald evangelist" preaching the gospel of Sly, changing the lost "donut ringers" one head at a time... ;D 
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 11:17:05 AM »
Good to see someone bring this up Frontier. I have always wondered about this as well. With the number of member's increasing towards ten thousand, you would think we'd have a lot more people on and active.
We always have more lurker's than members. Some of them (members) just sort of lurk about and don't post very often, if at all. Why join if you're not going to post, or at least check in every so often? I just don't get it.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:58:36 PM »

Good one Mike.  I am a "bald evangelist" preaching the gospel of Sly, changing the lost "donut ringers" one head at a time... ;D 

I do the same thing in an upbeat sort of way. Most people just laugh it off as a joke, though.
Hair is over rated.

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »
In the relatively short time I've been on the forum I've seen several regulars pack up and leave.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
I agree Front.  If people are looking for help, encouragement, information, support, courage, sympathy... they can get a lot from reading but may feel even better or get more help by interacting.  I'm different in that I made my decision and then joined because I was so happy with my decision.  I wanted to offer another testimonial to the benefits of shaving your head bald.  Yes... I said it!  Bald is no longer a 4 letter word to me.  Hair is.

So anyone who needs some help should read some of the hundreds of other stories and join in if they still need some advice.  There is life after hair and for most, it's better  :)

Slynito

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:15:05 PM »
I agree Front.  If people are looking for help, encouragement, information, support, courage, sympathy... they can get a lot from reading but may feel even better or get more help by interacting.  I'm different in that I made my decision and then joined because I was so happy with my decision.  I wanted to offer another testimonial to the benefits of shaving your head bald.  Yes... I said it!  Bald is no longer a 4 letter word to me.  Hair is.

So anyone who needs some help should read some of the hundreds of other stories and join in if they still need some advice.  There is life after hair and for most, it's better  :)

Well put, Acme...I was BBC for 5 years before I looked/found SBG. But of course many are looking for help with their decisions.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 06:57:36 PM »

Well , Some of us old timers have to work all day and don`t run home to the computer at the end of the day .    :x!

And when i say work i mean work ! Not sitting at some desk playing with your computer or high tech hand held gadgets between shuffling your paperwork . . . . .

I demand you pass on one of your "money making / take it easy all day" ideas so we can all kick back and chat on the computer . . . .  
                                                                ;)   >:D  ;)  
  ( sometimes poster ) . . .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 07:54:05 PM by aarrggh »

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 07:14:41 PM »

:*))

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
 I think some of these lurkers are super secret moderators that not even the moderators know about . . .  :o

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »
As a former lurker....not trying to defend the lurkers, but some people may not be comfortable putting themselves out there right away....I must say, coming out and actually posting was therapeutic for me, and it ended up being more rewarding than I ever could imagine...I actually had to explain to my aunt that SBG was a good group of people who just happen to (mostly) enjoy being bald, and that it was so much more than comparing bald stories and heads (she actually thought that this was a cult...my apologies, she's okay with it now). But given the easy access to profiles and in this day and age of ID theft (though you need far more than an email address and someone's age, and I know you only have to put what people want to know) some people just may not be comfortable as regular posters....but they may privately be benefiting from the posts and threads even if they don't openly say so...It would be nice to know these lurkers/pseudomembers but if the point of not letting your hair take charge of your life still gets across, those people staying in the shadows is not too bad of a trade-off.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:37 AM »
true fact. visising the forum is part of my daily to-do.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter