Author Topic: Earrings in the workplace  (Read 42181 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Earrings in the workplace
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
It seems like the majority of guys under the age of 30 that I work with have marks on their earlobes indicating that they once had pierced ears.  Presumably they stopped wearing earrings when they had to find jobs.  The business world has loosened up considerably; business casual is now the norm, facial hair is no longer a rarity and of course, shaved heads are also quite common.  But male earring-wearing still seems to be a taboo. Just wondering if anyone has any theories as to why that is. 

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Earrings in the workplace
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
I imagine that most office-type work environments are still pretty conservative when it comes to dress code.  My guess is that management doesn't want an employee causing a stir with any clients or co-workers; shaved heads and facial hair are considered masculine, but many people think pierced ears are for women only. 

I work in an office environment for a DME company where the dress code is business casual.  My ears are pierced and stretched so I just wear silicone "hider" plugs that are the color of my skin. (http://www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?jewelry=plugs&gauge=4g&orderby=material%20ASC&dwzPage=22&ProductID=2706&index=11) My boss and co-workers that don't know I have ear piercings can't even tell. 
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:51:18 AM »
imho, boys wear them to show off.
when they reach the maturity and think that it was all in vain, they'll quit it.
I never had one, or a tatoo, or any kind of "cool" stuff.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:25:30 AM »
At my company there's a distinct difference between the blue collar and white collar sides.  On the blue collar side, guys of all ages have earrings.  It's completely acceptable, as are tattoos.  On the white collar side, a few young guys in their early 20's have earrings and some older guys have the marks, but don't wear earrings. (I do know a couple guys who wear earrings outside of work.) 

The white collar side of older, established companies tend to be conservative by nature.  People get ahead by emulating the actions, dress, and manners of the management.  As a result, I think people feel they have to conform, hence the earrings come out.   

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:27:33 AM »
I've seen a lot of guys with the tell tale mark on their ears--some even with frank holes the size of a thin pencil.  But I rarely see the people in my office building who work with the bank, law offices or accounting firms sporting anything in their ears. 

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 07:36:45 AM »
when they reach the maturity and think that it was all in vain, they'll quit it.

Pretty harsh assessment.  With that logic, women with piercings are all just showing off, too. I haven't discounted the fact I'll probably "outgrow" my piercings some day, but I'll never think my piercings or tattoos were done in vain.  The only way I know to see if I like something is to experience it.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:17:23 AM »
I work in the software industry and it's pretty laid back. Earrings would be no impediment. I had no problem finding a job when I was wearing mine (10g bent barbell, left ear).

Now when it comes to the gaming industry, which is very big in Austin, it seems that tattoos and piercing are a prerequisite!

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
I'm in software too, and men with earrings wouldn't raise an eyebrow at my work. I can think of one guy even with these dagger-like one that stick out towards you. There was a woman with both arms in full sleeve tattoos. A friend of mine tells the story when he was wrapping up his interview here (15 years ago even) and the interviewer was walking him out (both were wearing suits), they passed an employee with a tall purple mohawk wearing some leather getup with studs. The interviewer deadpanned, "I should inform you that we do follow a very strict dress code here." (Purple mohawk guy was a summer intern I never met.)

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:50 PM »
Non of my trooper friends sport earrings and non of the school teachers that work for us are earring people - - -

IBM is around here and all they will tolerate is a bald head and a well trimmed beard - - -They are unspoken rules - - -you do not ask - - - - -

And one of my best friends has  worn an  earring for more than 30 years.    I don't even  notice it any more.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:46:12 PM by mangosink12572 »

Offline Sly Red

• GSG Southerner in Exile
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
I sport 00 Gauged lobes with black silicone tunnels.  I work in the software field.  At 60 years of age I doubt that I'll outgrow the pierced lobes.  Who knows, I may even stretch some more.  >:D

Red
In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing.” Oscar Wilde

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 02:26:05 PM »

This is a ridiculous set of statements. I had an earring when i was younger and wore it for years. I got it for me and nobody else and I never cared what anyone else thought of it. I stopped wearing it only because my niece, who was three years old at the time, asked me to stop wearing it.
And oh yeah.... I have three tattoos.... two of which are very large. Again.... I couldn't give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of them. I got them for me and not because I thought they were "cool".
What's really "cool" is not having to worry about whether or not other people think you're "cool". Seems to me "someone" should read Vash's excellent post from the other day.

I work in an office with a LOT of professionals. I myself am classified as Senior Professional. You name it this place has it.... everything from ear rings, to tattoos, to transvestites, to shaved heads, etc., etc.. I think it depends on the progressive outlook of the powers that be... as well as the part of the country(or world) you are in.

I personally like people of all types and NEVER, EVER judge people on such superficial things as earrings, tattoos, haircuts, etc.. I generally get along with every type that you can imagine because I love people and i love life. The kind of people I don't get along with are shallow minded, judgemental, prejudiced, dickheads.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:42:36 PM »
Geez Mike, you gotta learn to let it out once in a while and stop holding it all in.....LOL.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 07:19:07 PM »
At my company there's a distinct difference between the blue collar and white collar sides.  On the blue collar side, guys of all ages have earrings.  It's completely acceptable, as are tattoos.  On the white collar side, a few young guys in their early 20's have earrings and some older guys have the marks, but don't wear earrings. (I do know a couple guys who wear earrings outside of work.) 

The white collar side of older, established companies tend to be conservative by nature.  People get ahead by emulating the actions, dress, and manners of the management.  As a result, I think people feel they have to conform, hence the earrings come out.   

The IT guys seem to have a lot more latitude as far as personal appearance goes where I work than the rest of us do.  Most white collar professions are conservative when it comes to dress, jewelry, etc, but so much has changed, yet this one taboo remains.  I just find it interesting.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:43 PM »
Yes, the IT guys and trading guys at my company have a lot more latitude in how they dress / appear.  It is kind of odd that this taboo continues.   

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
How old fashioned , my home town ,all the fisherman wear earings , I am pierced both ears .depends what I wear if I decide to em or not . Hospitals are different from the health and safety aspect and confused , which is where I work . A lot of work places have one policy for dress attire whoch includes ear jewellery for men and women.