Author Topic: Goal: To Lose 195 Lbs and Keep it Off...  (Read 18114 times)

MikeInPdx

Goal: To Lose 195 Lbs and Keep it Off...
« on: May 12, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
...that's pretty simple. I was in a relationship, unhappy, and ate to compensate. After 6 years, it looks like I swallowed an inflatable raft and gave the cord a tug on the way down the hatch.

Now I'm single, much happier, and I want to get back to being myself again and maybe resembling my old self. So, I am watching what I eat....not adding fat or sugar to anything I cook, watching the carbs, and moving as much as I can (about 50-60 minutes of moderate walking per day).

Any suggestions or encouragement or criticisms are appreciated! :)

Thanks,
Mike

Polarbear

Re: Goal: To Lose 195 Lbs and Keep it Off...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »
Swimming is a great way to get in shape. And also, try a team sport like soccer! That way there is no excuse if you ever feel like giving up, because your team depends on you. And you will make a ton of new friends :)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »
Portion control is the key.  Plan out your meals ahead of time and write down everything you eat.  Make sure you have a couple of small, healthy snacks throughout the day.  Don't skip meals and don't go too long in between meals, because it plays havoc with your metabolism.  That's where the snacks come in -- to keep your metabolism burning at a more or less steady rate throughout the day.  Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day.

Also, make sure you have realistic goals.  195 pounds is a lot to lose and it's going to take a while to get there.  Setting some attainable intermediate goals will help keep you motivated.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

marty22

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
good luck and keep us informed.

MikeInPdx

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:31:11 PM »
Also, make sure you have realistic goals.  195 pounds is a lot to lose and it's going to take a while to get there.  Setting some attainable intermediate goals will help keep you motivated.

I understand that....my first goal is 36 pounds....10%......that's what I need to reduce to substantially improve my health.   And I'm motivated this time; I had a heart attack at 38 and bypass, and a heart attack from complications during recovery. That second heart attack took a lot of the steam outta me.

Like you also mentioned, I've been good about the portion control too. I have type 2 diabetes (surprise surprise at my weight  ::)) so I do stick to consistent meals now.  I wouldn't mind doing some kind of team activity after I get more weight off; right now, the walking is getting things going in the right direction.....I had 215 pounds to start with. :)

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for making this section...it's nice to check in and be accountable.

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:49:14 AM »
i was in the same situation almost two years ago, needing to lose 155 pounds, the weight gain was due to the fact that i gained weight  because i would eat like a pig to deal with nicatine cravings, i quit smoking in 1997, ive lost about half the weight i need to lose and i have another two years, im lucky so far that i dont have diabetes, i  had my cholesteral level checked and diabetes level checked last month, my cholesteral is at 185, and my blood sugar count is 98,

Also, make sure you have realistic goals.  195 pounds is a lot to lose and it's going to take a while to get there.  Setting some attainable intermediate goals will help keep you motivated.

I understand that....my first goal is 36 pounds....10%......that's what I need to reduce to substantially improve my health.   And I'm motivated this time; I had a heart attack at 38 and bypass, and a heart attack from complications during recovery. That second heart attack took a lot of the steam outta me.

Like you also mentioned, I've been good about the portion control too. I have type 2 diabetes (surprise surprise at my weight  ::)) so I do stick to consistent meals now.  I wouldn't mind doing some kind of team activity after I get more weight off; right now, the walking is getting things going in the right direction.....I had 215 pounds to start with. :)

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for making this section...it's nice to check in and be accountable.

Offline Argyle

• Super Sly
    • The Mighty Pilgrims
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:28:31 AM »
My view has always been not to set goals that are too tough.  It is something we have failed to tackle in the UK for years through public health messages.  The current guidance is 5x30 moderate intensity physical activity per week.  For some that is far too little, for the majority that almost seems impossible. 

My opinion has always been that the best approach is to do a little more than you are doing currently and always to live by that mantra, then before you know it you are working out at and possibly exceeding the minimum recommended levels.  For so many, exercise isnt fun, so the best approach i think is to try and make it a part of your routine, rather than a chore.  To arrive at a truly healthy lifestyle, what you do needs to be sustainable otherwise it is justa rather protracted game of snakes and ladders!
A SBG's head shines so other SBG's always have the opportunity to see the reflection of how good they look!

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:09:30 AM »
i actually agree, i do moderate physical activity every day for about 45 minutes

My view has always been not to set goals that are too tough.  It is something we have failed to tackle in the UK for years through public health messages.  The current guidance is 5x30 moderate intensity physical activity per week.  For some that is far too little, for the majority that almost seems impossible. 

My opinion has always been that the best approach is to do a little more than you are doing currently and always to live by that mantra, then before you know it you are working out at and possibly exceeding the minimum recommended levels.  For so many, exercise isnt fun, so the best approach i think is to try and make it a part of your routine, rather than a chore.  To arrive at a truly healthy lifestyle, what you do needs to be sustainable otherwise it is justa rather protracted game of snakes and ladders!

Offline Papa Don

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:12:56 AM »
Mike, I don't know if it is true, but my late wife always had a weight problem. She was only 4'8".  So 20 pounds looked like fifty (50).  She went to a weight doctor that advised her that if she got a craving for something sweet, not to deprive herself.  If she want cake, for instance, have a piece, but only take one or two bites.  Just enough to satisfy the cravings.  His idea was that cravings are the number one thing that destroys dieting. 
My hat is off to you.  Good luck and keep us posted.
I am no better that anyone else, but by God, no one is better than I am

MikeInPdx

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
Well...I have eaten well and exercised most days of this week....still doing the 50-60 minutes of walking a day.

I wanted a cheeseburger today, so rather than torture myself, I had it....of course I skipped the fries, and the sugared soda. I'll do my typical Healthy Diabetes Plate for dinner tonight. It's 1/2 filled with non-starchy vegetable, 1/4 protein and 1/4 starch/carbs. So far, by cutting out the greasy stuff, it's working out well with a small piece of fruit in between for snacks and such. I'm aiming for a 1-2 lb a week loss that I can manage keeping off. I want to look better, yeah, but more importantly, I want to feel better. I used to stay skinny by starving myself....had a 29 inch waist, but also had a "heroin chic" look before it was chic and felt like hell. Can we say my big life lesson has been moderation??  :px

I'm doing a yard work marathon tomorrow with the nice weather, so exercise shouldn't be much of a problem this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in with support. This is a great group and I really appreciate you all!

Mike

marty22

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 03:22:57 PM »
keep up the good work!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »

I wanted a cheeseburger today, so rather than torture myself, I had it....of course I skipped the fries, and the sugared soda.

There's nothing wrong with having a burger now and then.  If I have them at home, I try to always use 90% lean beef.  I think the key is not to necessarily give up the foods you like, but to find a healthier version of it, if at all possible.

I haven't done this in a long time, but I've even chopped up potatoes into wedges, cooked them in the microwave and then finished them off in the oven to crisp up a bit -- as a healthier alternative to fries. It's not the same, of course, but it's enough to keep me from feeling totally deprived.

MikeInPdx

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:26 PM »
I've made fries that way before....they're not bad...not bad at all.  Try putting them into a bag, add about a teaspoon of oil, and shake them up before you put them in to cook.  Doesn't add a lot of fat, but it does add enough flavor back to make them very respectable...plus it's just enough for the seasonings you like to cling. :)

MikeInPdx

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 02:30:06 PM »
Down 3 lbs since last week's weigh in!  O0

MikeInPdx

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 09:18:34 AM »
Down 2 lbs....slowing down a little but still very acceptable.