Author Topic: What didn't you expect when you went sly?  (Read 51384 times)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
Re: What didn't you expect when you went sly?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:06 AM »
I love the way it feels.  I was surprised how much I enjoy the feel of shaving.  I'm always surprised how jolting the cold feels on my head as winter approaches.  And I really don't like the rain on my head.  I wear a lot of hats outside in bad weather - but I like hats, so all's good!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Duurti

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 05:47:32 AM »
I've always hated shaving. Thankfully I can go 3 or 4 days without shaving my face and only have a fairly heavy stubble.

What surprised me about shaving my head is how obsessive I've become about it. It's been a little over a month and yesterday was the first day off I've taken, and it's killing me.

So enough of this, I'm off to get "clean".

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 07:18:10 AM »
I didn't expect to hear my theme song playing every time I walk in a room.  O:O  (are you guys hearing it too?)     :*)) 

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2016, 02:18:23 AM »
Well i had a few things i didnt expect. Theres the things alot of the previous posters on this thread mentioned, the velcro feel  of shirts and hats sliding on my scalp, the obsession with shaving, etc. Biggest surprise though was my mom's reaction. I had expected her to ridicule me for it, saying it was a dumb chioce for me, i dont have the right shape head to pull it off, i ruined my looks. , so on. But she didnt say any of those things. She did make a light hearted joke, but otherwise her reaction was rather neutral. Of course at that time i hadnt decided to remain bald by choice yet, it was just an experiment to see how i would like it. But once i decided to stay shaved and told her, she only responded by saying that she had decided not to fight her whiteish hair by dying it anymore. Out of all the surprises i had from shaving my head, and deciding to stay razor shaved despite my full head of hair, that was most shocking
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »
Wondering what you found the most surprising aspect of being bald;

Good question.

I am surprised that I am still completely bald 4 years later.

Offline tobler1

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 03:28:16 PM »
Yes, I did NOT expect it to stick either, hehe.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
I didn't expect to hear my theme song playing every time I walk in a room.  O:O  (are you guys hearing it too?)     :*))

Slymyke - have you been upgrading your beard ?

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
Not sure Slymyke intended an upgrade, but he sure has one.
SlyBeard

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 08:05:44 AM »
I never would have thought that 12 years later I would still like it so much.   I love being bald.   I have nightmares in which I have hair again.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
From the perspective of three years smooth, what I did not expect was that this would become such a part of just who I am. That first year, I could not get over the cool feeling and tingling my scalp felt. I also was incredibly aware of the fact I no longer had the horseshoe going around my scalp. I caught myself looking at my reflection in almost every mirror I passed.

It now is so ordinary and mundane to me that I rarely think about myself as being bald. I simply am me.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2016, 10:49:15 AM »
Another thing i didnt expect was how much i would enjoy the process of shaving. I also shave down below, and while i considef that process a bit of a chore, made worth it only by how nice it feels doing certain things inappropriate for this forum,  i actually enjoy and look forward to shaving mybhead each morning, and sometimes also at night just before bed. 

Which brings upma thought/question. Has anyone else noticed that their pillow feels alot different under a freshly shaven head than it does even when your last shave was relatively recent?
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline zzaapp

• Sly
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »
What I didn't expect was how much of a non-issue it would be. 

It took my wife about 20 minutes to get used to it.  My mom's only reaction was, "That's cute."  (cute???)  My dad, a military man during the '50's, didn't say anything.   

Around the office, I used to get a lot of "bald jokes" and comments about my thinning hair, but after I went sly, all that stopped.  A few of my clients commented that it suited me, but most said nothing. 

It was a relief, but it made me regret that I waited so long to take off that last quarter inch of hair.

Offline kerryman

• Sly
  • Life is what you make of it
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2016, 12:20:57 PM »
The routine and the fact you have to look after your skin more .
Some men see things as they are and say why ?. I dream things things that never were and ask: why not ??

Offline MichaelRMT

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2016, 12:23:22 PM »
I find that catching a glimpse of myself in a reflective surface always makes me do a double take, and think to myself "oh, right I'm bald now" 
Also I was playing with the dog, and she started to lick my bald head. It was the strangest feeling.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Lew

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2016, 01:41:18 PM »
I didn't expect to like the bald look, which nearly two months later I have completely embraced.  Also, I didn't expect the overwhelming support I've received from others about ditching the 'system' and going sly.  Reflecting back now I'm still surprised at how ridiculously important I thought it was to have hair.  It's not important to me at all now.  I like that.