Author Topic: Tonight is the night  (Read 8105 times)

Offline wfleming

• Sly Guy in Training
Tonight is the night
« on: February 16, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »
So I've been reading the forums here for a few months trying to get the courage up to shave it.  Tonight I finally decided to shave it, well, for the most part. I brought my hair down to a #2 and I'm going to keep it here til i get a little color on my scalp, I'll be outside a lot this weekend so I'm going to shave it on monday.  I'm amazed by how much more confident i feel with just the shorter hair......my thinner spots are much less apparent.  Oh, by the way, I'm only 18 and my hair has been thinning for 3 or 4 years now, but i was lucky and had extremely thick hair so it has taken awhile.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
Re: Tonight is the night
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Welcome to the group, wfleming and congrats on the choice to bring your hair to your terms.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 08:11:17 PM »
Welcome wfleming ;
                                                 I'm glad you joined the group, don't be depressed about thinning hair, some of us in the group are bald by choice, and some of us are blad by nature. But we all have one thing in common, and that is being proud to be bald. And this forum is a great place to meet new freinds, ask questions and get advise and support. Welcome,Welcome!!
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline juventus206

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm far to good looking to have hair.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 08:26:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  You'll find that there are a great group of people here that you'll soon share something in common with.  Congrats on building the courage to start the process, you'll have a hell of a support base here O0

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »
Welcome...WF....Glad to have you with us.

I totally understand wanting to stay at #2 for a while...

But I wouldn't necessarily do it in an effort to get sun on yer scalp...

I tried just that....and it didn't do A THING....

It's difficult to get sun up there even when totally slick.   I've found that that area which has been protected by hair for SO L-O-N-G is a long time coming along now that I've shaved slick for a month.

The only way I know that I've gotten a little sun burned up there is because it itches a bit...but the color is barely changed...only slightly pinkish.

Anyway...my two cents.

I believe if you just shave it...you'll love the freedom and whole SLICK thang....like the rest of us.

Peace, brutha!  O0

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 09:38:37 PM »
Congrats on the decision and welcome.
bald for life

Slickdome

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:10:52 PM »
So I've been reading the forums here for a few months trying to get the courage up to shave it.  Tonight I finally decided to shave it....I'm only 18 and my hair has been thinning for 3 or 4 years now, but i was lucky and had extremely thick hair so it has taken awhile.

Welcome to the block, new kid...hehehe.   I shaved my head for the first time when I was 18, too...and that was almost 25 years ago.  I wish I'd had the guts to keep it Sly back then, but I grew it back almost immediately.   If the hair loss is troubling you, then Sly is the way to go.  Congrats on your very wise decision.

JJ

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 11:10:05 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!  I'm glad you stuck around and read for that long until you got the courage to shave.  As you have found out, it can be very liberating right from the beginning.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »
I did the #2 thing for about a week. Then #1... then I found myself shaving with an unguarded electric razor. 3 days after that I was sly. It's inevitable, kid! Embrace it.
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline wfleming

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
thanks for all of the replies. I'm surprised by the reactions i'm getting even now. so far none have been bad

Offline medicineman

• Head shaver/Beard grower
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 12:36:50 AM »
Hello wfleming and welcome.  I am new here to SBG and  can tell you this is a great group.  If you like the short buzz now, you are going to love being totally slick.  Nothing compares to it.  After you do the deed you will ask yourself why you waited so long to do it.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 07:08:44 AM »
To echo the Robmeister, a #2 setting will not permit sun on the sides of you dome, even in my condition as a man with a seriously receding hairline. I was at a #2 for years and when I finally shaved it, it was a stark difference in color. At a minimum, might I suggest going with a #1 setting. You may let a little more sun get to your scalp, but at a minimum, you'll start to work your way towards the inevitable.

Peace,
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 07:10:35 AM »
Welcome wfleming and ditto what Medicineman says.  I am a new guy to the group too and there is definitely nothing like feeling totally slick.  You'll be glad you did it.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline MagmaBabe

• Sly Bureau
  • thanks guys!! I love ya's to bits <3
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »
What they all said!!  ;)
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances ~  Martha Washington

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 08:23:31 AM »
welcome WFLEMING. glad to have you.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!