Author Topic: Need opinions from the younger guys...  (Read 13683 times)

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
Re: Need opinions from the younger guys...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 12:22:27 AM »
I stared to loose my hair to a widows peak as they call it..at the age of 17-18 and cut it off for A adventure at Sea..lol but been bald since and it was the best thing for me i ever did..IMO i respect the fact you wanna wait still school ends and everything...hair or no hair doesn't change the person just the way you look and people who dislike it need not effect you ..opinions or like A$$holes everyone has one....P>S> Pburke is a good guy ...He showed me the way here..
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:38:46 AM »
thanks brother. i wouldn't steer you wrong.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline socctty

• Sly Jr.
  • Finally sly.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
I'm a young guy (22), and of course I think you should go slick now! If you're worried about your friends or getting used to the look, go and get a #2 or #1 cut. It won't be as drastic, and it's sort of like sticking your toe in the water. It will also get your friends used to it. And besides, if you're worried about it affecting the relationship you have with your friends now, why are you willing to do it after graduation? They'll be your friends then as well.

Give it a go!
"You can't hate man if you know him."
- John Steinbeck

"A man's life is interesting primarily when he has failed -- I well know. For it's a sign that he tried to surpass himself."
- Georges Clemenceau

"Nothing is more unsightly than a bald man with hair."
- Martial

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 04:44:23 PM »
Dude, I am a Man of 22 Years, and all I have to say is that the reactions have ALL been positive.  Not only is it the fact that people take me more serious when I want them to (I look sly, instead of just a Jolly Giant), Its been a month, but for the past few weeks my friends have gotten use to it.  It took about two weeks.  Dude, I am telling you that the reactions are Money, Women coming up to you at random asking "what did you do?" and stating "Damn you look Great" or "It Works on you".  The Adjustment period is Money.  Its after the first month where you can no longer imagine yourself with hair, and I will tell you that you will be the toughest Critic.  Trust me though, It is one of the Greatest decisions that I have ever made.  Peace
Peace

Offline wfleming

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 05:24:05 PM »
I have to agree, most all of the reactions that I have gotten have been entirely positive, except for my physics teacher. She thinks it makes me look intimidating, which i have to agree, but i like that. I guess its because I'm such a nice guy that she doesn't think that it fits. Pretty much everyone else has taken well to it, i mean i have the random nicknames (mr clean, cueball, shiny, etc), but besides that it has been great.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 05:59:39 PM »
I have to agree, most all of the reactions that I have gotten have been entirely positive, except for my physics teacher. She thinks it makes me look intimidating, which i have to agree, but i like that. I guess its because I'm such a nice guy that she doesn't think that it fits. Pretty much everyone else has taken well to it, i mean i have the random nicknames (mr clean, cueball, shiny, etc), but besides that it has been great.
The Nicknames are only temporary... and to tell you, the reaction that it makes you look "Intimidating" I see as a Plus.  For the first time, people are taking me serious.  Women are showing me a little more love, because the truth is out there that Women love a man that is Tough.  Appearances are deceiving sometimes though... God's honest truth, I am nothing more than a Huggy Bear  ^^at!x.
Peace

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2007, 03:39:18 PM »
Started getting thin at 24... after the usual techniques to hide it...

1. wearing a baseball hat everywhere, including indoors at restaurants
2. avoiding overhead lighting at all costs
3. scheduling dates for night in order to avoid the overhead sunlight exposing the recession
4. combing the hair forward towards the forhead to cover it up

... I finally said 'f- it' and shaved it all off.

Now people say I look better with a shaved head, and since it's in style most people think I do it as a fashion statement anyway.

Not to be negative, but I know some guys (my older brother) who have gone through so much in an effort to deny the truth (spending money on drugs every month, getting painful and expensive surgery for hair plugs, wearing a ridiculous rug on their head) and it's sad to me.  Reminds me of women who get breast implants or older people who get face lifts or Michael Jackson.  People who don't like themselves. 

As a man, I prefer to roll with what God gave me and if people don't like my sly baldy, they know where they can go... 

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2007, 02:49:38 AM »
Welcome, dalecooper. I think I'm one of the younger dudes in here... started balding at around 20-21 and I'm pretty damn thin on top now at 24. It has hit me hard since I never thought that I could go bald, definitely not this soon anyways. The only baldies in my family are my mother's father and one of my uncles from my mother's side... and of course I had to inherit their hair type. I buzzed my hair down to 1 mm in last October, did it again this January and am now planning to buy clippers to buzz it down myself, and really keep it that way. The only hickup is that I really hate my head shape, it's way too feminine IMO. My face ain't too masculine either, I have my "mother's face", so to speak. Good luck to you anyways, I know it's hard balding at such a young age but I'm sure you'll get through this shite.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 02:53:02 AM by yep_yep »

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 01:03:24 AM »
Hi Dalecooper,

I would do it, im now 31, ive been shaving my head on a daily basis since April 2nd 2004, i started receding in 2003, i really enjoyed having my hair, and i prfered it long, i once had a mullet from 1994 to 2002, i was born in canada, and Corn rows from 2002 to April 2nd of 2004, i now prefer the shaved head look because iam receding slowly, and ive gotten tons of positive feedback about i look better with the shaved head
. iam balding because most of my mother male relatives are bald, i have an uncle in germany who wears a tupee, my mother was born in Germany and her brother in germany wears a tupee, and i didnt want to have one, originally i didnt think i would go bald because my father has a full head of hair. but as they say, you get the baldness from your mothers father, my mother's father was bald, but he wasnt completely bald until 50.
After April 2nd 2004, i made the decidiosn that i would be bald for life

jusbnme

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 09:55:19 AM »
Go for it bro!!!  I was about 16 when I first started shaving my head with clippers down to about a 1/4 inch.  I eventually got down without a guard on the clippers about 5 years ago.  I went for the "whole thang" about a year ago.  I would never go back.  Give it a shot!!! See what you think and if you don't like it let grow back in.  Like some others have said though, I doubt you will go back.  Good luck.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• Super Sly
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 09:21:35 PM »
Something to be said about being a Bold, Bald, BADA#S!  Fear is weakness leaving the Body... IF you are made weak by your fear that you don't look attractive due to thinning hair or a receeding hair line, let that weakness leave your body.  Release it, and there is nothing left to fear.  Welcome my Brother O0
Peace

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 09:26:21 PM »
Fear is the biggest f***n lyer there is, man...

Period :x!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 10:57:18 PM »

P>S> Pburke is a good guy ...He showed me the way here..

Like I've said several times here....

Me like Paulie :@` :@`

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 05:54:38 PM »
Right on

Something to be said about being a Bold, Bald, BADA#S!  Fear is weakness leaving the Body... IF you are made weak by your fear that you don't look attractive due to thinning hair or a receeding hair line, let that weakness leave your body.  Release it, and there is nothing left to fear.  Welcome my Brother O0

Offline WorldRallyFan

• Brand New Baldy
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 04:40:13 PM »
I took propecia for a while back in 2003, but I didn't like the side effects when I drank so I stopped. I like my beer way too much ( :@` :@` :@` :@` :@`) to sacrifice it for hair.  It turned out my hair wasn't really falling out as fast as I thought, but I still didn't like my extreme widows peak.  I'm still a senior in college (25, been taking my time) and I thought it would be a drastic change, but its college and a great time to shave it.  I say go for it, I haven't had any negative reactions yet and I'm loving being bald more and more every day.
Zen and the Art of Being Sly