Author Topic: Bald in the office ... or not?  (Read 16325 times)

Offline Christian

• Sly Jr.
Bald in the office ... or not?
« on: January 27, 2007, 01:35:59 AM »
I just started a new job about 4 weeks ago. Already in the time of the job interview I was thinking about shaving my head again but thought it would be better to go to the job interview with a "traditional" haircut.
Now I moved to Hamburg and decided to order HeadBlade for the first time. I have it in my drawer for 2 weeks now and don't know if it is a good idea to shave right now. I always liked my bald look; it felt so great! But now I am concerned about reactions in the office.
I know that I make a very good progress there and that ppl see that I do quite a good work and I also know that I want more. I don't want to lower my chances by shaving my head right now.
People there are mostly conservative, we are wearing suits etc.

Now it is week-end; I want (and need) a new haircut and really thinking about shaving it all off. But it is winter and the bald head would look a little brighter than my face and finally ... what about monday? I am concerned about peoples reactions.
In my old job it was no problem at all when I appeared bald from time to time ... first reactions weren't the easiest ones but people got used to it and liked it.

What would you guys do if you had a new job? Would you just shave it all off and see?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Bald in the office ... or not?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:52:58 AM »
If you already have the job I would shave it.  To be honest, I think it will help you stand out amongst the crowd; in a good way.  Especially if you do really good work.  I think the worst that they would do is tell you that you need to grow it back, but I don't think they would.  Then again, in California, where I live, it's illegal for them to do that.  I found that I got a much better response from clients and my superiors.  I think this had to do a lot with my boost in confidence from shaving my head.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
I agree with Tyler.  Don't get us wrong...it still takes huevos to do what you want to do. 

But I don't think it will jeopardize your employment....especially nowadays that the bald look is coming more and more in vogue.

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »
This guy's the BOSS at his firm....

He's very conservative....and very successful.....financial consultant.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:47:50 AM by Robmeister »

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:59:07 AM »
It's an individual choice. I am a CPA and my firm's office is in downtown San Francisco. Although I work out of my home a majority of the time, I have yet to receive a negative comment about my choice to go sly. It's a good look, and if you are comfortable with it for you, I think your self-confidence will shine thru (pun intended).

If you like it, and you're not covering your face, head, ears, lips, etc. etc. with piercings and tattoos, shaving your head is quite minor. Go for it.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 02:18:44 PM »
Shave it!
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 03:01:33 PM »
Hey Man;
               I too think you sould go ahead and scalp the dome, and you already picked a good razor to do the job. If by chance you do nick yourself, don't let it turn you off using the HeadBlade, sometimes it takes a little time to develope your nack for using it.
               Also as you stated people at your work already know you do a good job, just by shaving you head wont affect your job preformance in a negative way. So go for it dude. $#!zzle
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 06:53:27 PM »
go for it they can't fire you for it...plus there is always the excuse that the barber messed it up and it was easy to shave it and let it grow back even if they raise a fuss but once it grows on them they will not notice it or think twice about it,,,lol
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

ChadinSO

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 06:55:30 PM »

Shave it part II

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »
Shave it!

Shave it part II

Too direct...we like the long, drugged out...I mean dragged out....verbose.... approach   @^t  b!@h

Offline Christian

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 06:53:57 AM »
Thank you guys for your support. :)

I guess it is definitly that I will shave my head soon. Haven't done it so far but I am going to do it.
Today is sunday and I am still fighting with myself if I should to it now or wait until next friday so I have the complete week-end for myself to get used to it.

Looking foward to do it and will post you a before and after picture after I have done it.
Curious about the ppl reactions in the office then. ;)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 09:42:27 AM »
...or wait until next friday so I have the complete week-end for myself to get used to it.

It's still definitely a big step.....If I were in your position, I would do it on Friday.  I shaved mine so I would have an entire WEEK to get used to it without social interaction....but that's a little extreme....and impractical for most guys.

ChadinSO

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 10:20:35 PM »
I shaved my head while at my real estate firm.  Nothing but positive results.  I did ask a few if they thought I looked any less professional, all answers were no.

I think it's all on how you carry yourself, how you dress and how you speak.

Chad

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 11:27:12 PM »
I shaved my head while at my real estate firm.  Nothing but positive results.  I did ask a few if they thought I looked any less professional, all answers were no.

I think it's all on how you carry yourself, how you dress and how you speak.

Chad

The Green Day shirt not withstanding.... ;D

Naahhh....that's exactly right, Chad..

Excellent case and point for Christian's situation   O0

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 04:22:10 PM »
I shaved my head when I had been at my current job for a little less than a year. People still poke fun at me sometimes, but that's alright, without hair it just rolls right off the melon....hehehehehehehe
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Enter your email address: