Author Topic: First time bald...  (Read 4023 times)

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
First time bald...
« on: December 19, 2016, 06:35:12 AM »
I've been losing my hair for nearly 10 years.  I've been watching it recede and having the usual thoughts and some insecurity.  One day, I knew I'd just shave it completely - simply because the horseshoe and comb-over are completely unacceptable to me.  (my Dad does that)

Then the surprise:

I wasn't at all prepared - and some people have told me it wasn't time yet - but on the day after Thanksgiving, my GF had a mishap with the clippers (without the guard) - forcing me to clip my entire head without a guard.  I didn't like that at all (patches) - so I shaved completely.

Much to my surprise, I kind of liked it.  The act of shaving (very Zen) was even cool.  My GF said she liked it, but we always think those close to us are biased.

My Dad hated it (but he's sporting a horseshoe - so his opinion doesn't count).   Went to work with some trepidation but some people thought it was cool.  "At least you have a good shaped head," they said.  Others made some snide comments...  (next time I receive one of those - I'm going to fire back with something unflattering about them)

Overall, the more time that goes by, the more I like it.  Radical Self Acceptance has become my mantra.   Not just that - but I'm not a complainer by nature.   This baldness chose me - but I'm going to make the most of it.  I am resolved to increase my confidence and embrace this...  I've read bald guys appear taller, appear more successful, etc.   So, armed with that knowledge - I just need to push thru to the other side and allow this to become me...  I'm never going back - that much is clear.   It's just too easy - it feels too good - and it's just not important enough to fuss over.  I mean - look at Syria and sh*t...  I can't complain without appearing to be spoiled...  in my mind anyway...

Good luck to everyone... Shed it and embrace it! 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:46:24 AM by TheodorusRex »

Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline ThePangolin

• Sly
  • Outdoorsman, Officer, Saved by Jesus Christ
Re: First time bald...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
Welcome Dude!

I love your attitude. Sounds very much like myself, I also had a mishap with the clippers when cutting my own hair, and have been facing thinning for years. I was like screw it ill go bald for kicks, and ever day since then that I kept shaving, I've loved it more and more.

Way to go staying positive, embracing it, and putting a hand in the face of the nay sayers. You're not doing anything wrong, its your choice how to wear or not wear your hair. If Rod Stewart can have his hair do for like 45 years, I can be bald. Nuff said.

Once again welcome and I'm happy for you bro, looks good on you! Maybe a better pic? Whats with the like disco light streaks on your face? Haha

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 08:33:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

My first experience being bald was due to a mishap with the clippers due to trying to fix a bad haircut by a rookie barber. This was back in Spring 1986 when I was in eighth grade. I got the usual jokes and head slaps, but it made me mentally tough. If people keep complimenting you, who knows, maybe your dad might go sly one day!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:41:25 AM »
"Radical Self-Acceptance"  -  Are you by any chance a "Burner" (resident of Black Rock City, Nevada)?

Offline TheodorusRex

• Sly Jr.
  • Each moment is a place you've never been before.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 11:00:09 AM »
I'm not a 'burner' per se - but willing to learn.  From what I've seen it looks great!
Started shaving November 25th, 2016

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:09:45 PM »
I'm not a 'burner' per se - but willing to learn.  From what I've seen it looks great!
well if you want to go to the national  bruning Black rock city we need to get yourself a profile on the playa because with the tickets are finally released for sale all 69,000 of them will be gone less than 11 minutes.   if you don't have a profile you will get a bid number and without a bid number if you can't bid for tickets in the lottery

Offline dshupe

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 07:30:37 AM »
Welcome!!!!

Offline Dragon

• Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »
Welcome TheodorusRex

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »
Welcome to the club. I like your attitude!
Hair is over rated.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
Good look and great attitude.
Roger