Author Topic: 16 guy thinking of going sly  (Read 6153 times)

Offline maybeslyguy

• Sly Guy in Training
16 guy thinking of going sly
« on: August 01, 2016, 01:32:52 PM »
So I'm 16 and a junior in high school. Currently my hair looks like this

(Usually once my hair is cut the sides are near 0-1) I've always had the urge to go sly, but never have. If I did it I wanted to do it right with a 1 or 0, but I like the idea of going totally sly with a razor. Since it's summer (I know I'm late) I think it'd be fun to try. I know completely bald might not suit a 16 year old, but it's just an urge I feel.

My parents aren't strict, but it'd be a shocker. I don't know what my friends would think, but I'd have a 3 by the time I'd go back. Any idea's for someone that hasn't really tried even a buzz before but wants to? Any excuse I could make so it doesn't seem to crazy? I'm getting s longer-on-top high and tight when I get a haircut later but I really just want a fully buzz. Tips?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:29:31 AM by maybeslyguy »

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: 16 guy thinking of going sly
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »
Welcome to the board, MayBeSlyGuy.

My advice is to sit down with your parents and explain what you want to do and why you want to do it. Ultimately, what you want to do is simply to change your hairstyle. It is not something permanent.

I hope things work out for you!
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Miller1989

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
Try a close buzz, like a #1 or #1-1/2. It's what I do now, and I did for awhile back when I was your age too. I think you'll like it.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:12:02 PM »
Ask your parents if you could shave your head for charity (e.g. St. Baldricks).,
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline maybeslyguy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:51:03 PM »
Unfortunately theres not a Baldricks event even in my state right now (MD). I'll keep my eye out for any other events but I don't think they have a lot going on right now.

Offline Sly Percussion

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 10:02:46 PM »
Hey there.
I was once in your boat. If it is something you want to try, why not? If you're looking to just have a short buzz, you could always say, "I felt like I needed a change, and I thought I'd try it."
I personally had a #3 buzz through most of high school.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 10:41:22 PM »
Absolutely.  I am a student in Barber College and I had another Junior do that just today.  He looked great and was thrilled with it.  As long as your folks are OK with it you should do it.  Just tell them that you are sick of the long hair and want to shave it off for the summer.  If they do not object,go to a real Barbershop that does straight razor shaves and have them do it for you.

ASvrd head is a perfectly acceptable hairstyle for a high school Senior.

Offline Jordan1991

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:43:50 PM »
Hello and welcome :)

If it's something that you've been wanting to try for some time - summer is the perfect time to do it. If you don't like it... It will grow back :)

Jordan

Offline bennett11

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 05:47:57 AM »
many years ago i had the same urge at your age.  I waited until I left to go to college when the first thing i did was get a short buzz.  Kept it that way since until i started shaving it.

Offline amatlock2778

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
I say go for it. Youre at an age where you can make your own decisions about your look, your style, and nobody should have any say in that but you. Yeah, youll still have to live under your parents rules for at least another 2 years, but i dint beleive they should be allowed any say in how you choose to style your hair anymore at your age. Unless what you want to do could cause permanent damage, but shaving bald certainly won't do that.
Bald by chioce, never going back

Offline socknoggle

• Sly
  • Grateful follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 06:43:03 AM »
I agree with Cave Dweller.  Being a parent myself I am sure your parents would appreciate being informed about what you want to do.  Ultimately it's your hair and you're old enough to decide what you want to do, but keep your parents in the loop.

I also agree that if you do decide to go sly that you should go to a barber that does head shaves and have your first shave done there.  I wish I had done that.  But do your research.   I had a barber shop shave once that was terrible.  I ended up spending a lot of money, then going home and shaving my head.  That barber was not a head shaver, but there are plenty that are and do a fine job.

Grrreat...   I posted this before I saw your post saying you had done the deed.  Good on ya!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:01:53 AM by socknoggle »