Author Topic: 1 Year Anniversary....Thoughts  (Read 3708 times)

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
1 Year Anniversary....Thoughts
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:08:40 AM »
1 year ago this week gone, I made the decision to ditch the hair system that I had been wearing for over 10 years and go "natural" buzzing my remaining hair down. It wasn't a quick decision, it wasnt an easy decision, but I decided that if I didn't make the decision then, I'd be commited to the system for the rest of my life.

So, 12months down the line how am I doing?  Hmmmmmm? Well on the negative side..Ive yet to take a picture without me wearing a hat, I avoid my reflection 99% of the time without a hat on. If Im honest, I dont like it, I miss having "hair"

On the positive side...financially Im better off! (well, aside from the increased hat buying!) I dont wear a hat a work! The constant worry of "Can people tell? Does it look ok? What will I do if Im involved in a comedy accident where a pot of paint falls on my head?" have gone!

Ive seriously considered the SLY look...right now, it's not for me. The closest I got was when my partner accidently knocked the gaurd off the clipper and I had to have a "No gaurd" cut. Im not sure Ill ever be ready for the SLY look, I just dont have the "urge" that others say they have.

The next 12months..I want to be confident to go hatless in social situations, have my picture taken and not worry or freak out!

This site has been amazing to be honest. The support has been brilliant, Ive spoken with a number of guys and I honestly dont think that I could have got through the last 12months without it.

If I could, would I want my hair back (my real hair not the fake hair!) Hell yes!, But that isn't going to happen, so Im learning to deal and slowly (ever so slowly!) move on!

I just wanted to vent!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: 1 Year Anniversary....Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Leigh, as a guy who's the same age as you, I must say that your participation has been enjoyable....Even if you don't go sly, there's nothing wrong with keeping it buzzed. The big thing is that you realized that there are more valuable things to do with your money than hair systems. I think the main purpose of this site is not to force guys to shave their heads, but to show them that hair loss isn't the end of the world, nor does it make you any less of a man (Propecia might make you less of a man, but that's for another thread). Glad to have you and keep up the good posts...In time you will ditch the hat and show your buzz cut off proudly!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 01:15:45 PM »
 O0 enjoyed the posts you have made . I going on 17 years of sly and damm proud of it  ;) 8) like hats caps etc. but love to be shining as much as I can , enjoy and condradulations  post a pic. O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:42:39 PM »
Congrats Leigh, I'm with Harry, it's not all about being smoothly bald, it's about freeing yourself from the worries of hairless, and having a support system, your posts are always insightful and compassionate so thanks for sticking around!

Offline antRox

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »
Congrats Leigh on working towards freeing yourself of hair loss worries. I know for some of us, such as myself, it isn't an easy road to travel.

When I first did a no guard cut I wore a hat everywhere but it still felt like I was hiding and the fear of someone taking my hat off was always hanging over me then almost a month ago I ditched the hat and have not worn one since and a couple of weeks ago I went Sly! It wasn't an easy transition period and at times still isn't but I feel so much more liberated and feel like I can do all the things I used to do 10 years ago before MPB struck! Plus I no longer have to worry about being exposed, that's the best feeling.

All the best for your future journey  :)

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:18 AM »
G'Day Leigh,

Well done on your 1 year anniversary.

O0

Offline NESTYdPOGI

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
Happy 1st Anniversary to you man O0 O0 O0

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! That is awesome mate.

As Harry said, you don't have to be sly to enjoy these forums, and you've certainly proved that time and time again. It is good to have another opinion of the topic other then "just shave it off" and I always enjoy reading your posts, so keep up the good work  O0

Who knows in 12 months time you might be ready to go sly, but lets work on getting you hat free first!  O0

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 08:01:11 AM »
Hi Leigh,

Each of us have made a progression toward baldness in our own way and time.  Although I would like to see you liberated from your hats (for your  own sake)... you have to do it in your own time.  You will know when it is right for you.  I went from never wearing hats, to wearing ball caps as much as I could to try to hide my balding.  If I had a cap on and went out, people thought I was much younger than I was, and I liked that.  Now, with my hair shaved off, I get that same reaction, and I really like it more, because I'm not bothering with a hat (so many times you have to take a hat off in front of those who have only seen you with it on... and that is stressful). 

Also, you will know when it is right for you to go to a No Guard cut, then finally a razor shave.  I messed around for the past 3 or 4 years with everything from no guard to a 1 or 2, but finally used a razor for the first time last week. 

Just as you have been so complimentary and supportive to others, the favor is and will be returned to you, no matter what you have on your head.  No pressure, but maybe the first step is to post a pic without the hat.  I think you will look good.  On here, you have the support to do that, and it can help build your confidence in that look on you. 

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:55 AM »
Congrats Leigh !  One yr. w/o hairsystem is a gigantic step.  Your posts here are very much appreciated and glad you make this your "second home" !  Hope your partner buys you a special hat for this occasion !

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:06 AM »
Hi guys and thanks for the comments, I wasn't fishing for compliments..honestly!

When the photo get's taken, this will be the first place it gets posted!

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »
I'm tardy to the Congratulations Party, but it's meant just as sincerely. I think we all take pride in each other's successes - thanks for sharing yours.

Here's to another year of being un-systematized.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:33 PM »
Happy anniversary Leighmundo...more to come.  :)
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
Hi guys and thanks for the comments, I wasn't fishing for compliments..honestly!

When the photo get's taken, this will be the first place it gets posted!

You'll get our compliments whether you like them or not  @c3 Haha, just messing, you deserve all the nice words said about you, it's great to see people moving forward!

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »
Cheers guys thanks for that.

I wont be going back to the systems that is for sure, no head tattoos either! I may consider one of those HUGE Dr Suess hats though..just for kicks!