Author Topic: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)  (Read 741713 times)

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
Re: SAFETY Razor Shave of the Day (SOTD)
« Reply #1950 on: September 23, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
Viking Soap & Cosmetic - Ragnar
BSB-Ti | HMW Extra Dense
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Ever since Christopher Bailey started singing the praises of Viking Soaps in January, I have had them on my radar.  I've been waiting on "Ragnar" to be restocked because, of the offerings, a Creed Aventus homage seemed appealing.  I can't speak to the accuracy because I've never knowingly experienced Aventus, but the fragrance notes seemed harmless.

Unlike CDB, I don't factor in cost when I evaluate a soap, but it's hard to miss the fact that this 5 ounces of soap only cost me $11.50.  The labels are expertly applied without a single bubble and perfectly straight.  They're also waterproof.  The label design, however, is amateurish.  I like the logo, but the rest looks like it was done with WordArt 97.  I don't mean to be brutal, but have a look at artisan offerings right now.  Label art is top notch, and much of the time worthy of the product it adorns.  In this respect, Viking is a sleeper.  If not for Bailey's comments, I would have expected a freshman mediocre product---because, well, I judge a book by its cover.  After a single use, I feel like this tallow base just makes it into the top-performer club.

I started with a barely damp knot, but I struggled to get a decent load.  I added a touch more water to the knot such that it was a little more moist, but not dripping.  That seemed to pull in the soap and it loaded nicely as a result.  I face-lathered starting with painting, then scrubbing, then back to painting which yielded a rather fluffy lather.  In many cases "fluffy" is not ideal, but this was quality---not airy---lather.  It provided nice protection with middle-of-the-road slickness.  However, residual slickness was higher up on the scale.  As I rinsed after the first pass, I noticed my skin felt very soft already.  This is usually the effect I get after prolonged (2-3 applications/passes) of my favorite soaps.  Viking excels in post-shave feel and skin nourishment.  I proceeded with 2 more passes for an overall luxurious shower head and face shave.  As per my usual pattern when evaluating a soap, I smeared the pulled lather on my face and scalp and let it remain while I cleaned my gear.  There were no ill effects.

As with many of my preferred artisan soaps, a post product was unnecessary, but I wanted to use the paired balm.  I anticipated it would be a rich balm, so I dispensed a single pump, and it was sufficient to cover my damp head and face.  It felt completely absorbed after about 5 minutes, leaving my skin feeling silky.  The performance is reminiscent of Soap Commander's.

Viking obviously has a very nice performing base, but they don't get much exposure.  Have you guys ever heard of Wholly Kaw?  Sri was making outstanding soaps for some time, but it wasn't until he stepped up the label design that his business really took off.  I feel like Viking may possibly be at this impasse. Let's face it, if the product isn't attractive, most of us are not going to feature it in our SOTD pics regardless of performance <cough>LASSC<cough>.  I don't mean to suggest that the Viking labels are terrible, but rather they're simply not up to the professional level the product deserves.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1951 on: September 25, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »
Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere
Island Bladeworks "Stoya" | Elite Razor Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)
Acqua di Parma Colonia

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1952 on: September 27, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »
L&L Grooming / Chatillon Lux "Unconditional Surrender"
Kent V8
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1953 on: September 30, 2017, 05:13:44 AM »
L&L Grooming - Darkfall (soap, splash, EdP)
Kent V8   
Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1954 on: October 01, 2017, 03:00:21 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Lime | Lavender | Cedarwood
Wolf Whiskers | Raptor | Black Wolf
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1955 on: October 03, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
The Shaving Shop Club - The Scream
DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm

I ordered "The Scream" based solely on the label.  I'm shallow that way.  I knew it wasn't much of a risk, because I am familiar with The Club's cream base, and it's spectacular.  This cream isn't as soft as TOBS, but instead more like RazoRock's SMdF or Dead Sea.  It still meets cream criteria, but you're not going to get a load by simply dipping your brush into the tub.  That said, it doesn't take many swirls from this solid backboned Tuxedo knot to get plenty of load for a 2 1/2 pass head and face shave.  (If you're not accustomed to creams, I recommend you separate a small amount of the product into a lathering bowl to load the brush. Then build your lather either on your face or in the bowl.  Loading directly from the tub works just fine, but you need to be careful you don't add a lot of water to the tub in the process.)  This cream yields an obscene amount of thick, dense lather.  It's also one of the slickest in my collection---both in first and subsequent passes.  I shower shave, and my final rinse is simply standing underneath the shower head with water running full-blast.  My skin remains slick even after that extensive rinse.  The post-shave is above average.

I lucked out on the fragrance because I honestly ignored the profile when I made the purchase.  Fortunately I rather like it.  If you're not a fan of anise, take a pass on this one (go pick up Khalifa, instead).  Anise is foremost upon lathering, but it's quickly balanced with woody lavender and a healthy dose of sensual jasmine. After first use, that's all I picked up from the lather, but it was very nice.

The aftershave splash (via pump spray) downplays the anise, while jasmine, geranium, and more woody lavender upstage it slightly.  The drydown reveals more warm woody notes and ultimately plateaus with vanilla and rosewood.  Given the medium, the splash has more character than the cream.  This fougère seems to have some Eastern influence without being incense-heavy.

"The Scream" is more confirmation that I made the right decision to re-up my Club membership.  I initially joined last year for the exclusives and edgy labels, but that attraction can fade quickly given the artisan offerings today.  Fortunately, there is substance behind the glam in that the The Club fragrances continue to take risks, some of which having gone well beyond my tastes.  Conversely, there have been others outside my wheelhouse for which I have developed an affinity. All this is encased in an outstanding base. This is essentially the model for The Club, and as long as it continues on this course, the products will continue to be in my den.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1956 on: October 06, 2017, 09:51:11 AM »
Movie Night SOTD
Barrister and Mann - Fireside
Kent V8
Star 1912 | Gem PTFE
Chatillon Lux - Bon Vivant

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 10:19:52 AM by 120inna55 »

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1957 on: October 08, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
Barrister and Mann - Cheshire

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1958 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:52 PM »
My Dad died today.  His passing was a merciful blessing.  I use his brush (passed down to him from his father) often, but today, I use it in his honor.  I'll just post a pic of the brush for now.  Tomorrow, I'll follow-up with the full gear pic.

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1959 on: October 13, 2017, 04:40:52 AM »
Catie's Bubbles - 322

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1960 on: October 13, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
  Sorry to hear of the passing of your dad.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1961 on: October 13, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
  Sorry to hear of the passing of your dad.
Thank you.

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #1962 on: October 13, 2017, 10:13:12 AM »
Peace be with your dad, and with you also.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline 120inna55

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • 120inna55
« Reply #1963 on: October 13, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
Peace be with your dad, and with you also.
Thank you.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #1964 on: October 13, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
Prayers to you and your family. Sorry for the loss of your dad.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: