Author Topic: Still on the fence?  (Read 131304 times)

Offline Rob

• Sly Bureau
  • British baldy since 2006
Re: Still on the fence?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »

You're a pretty harsh dude. Next month i am going to NYC, looking to find a career there. On the one hand it would be great to start over again there, on the other hand it would feel awkward to start over there as a baldy.

You think I'm harsh, and you're coming to NYC to look for a job ;D ;D ;D  That's good, try stand up comedy--then put on your real battle gear for the job hunt!  You are totally out of touch as you will soon find out.

With that attitude, you're in for a real eye-opener when you get to NY. Like saint said, shave the dome and grow some thicker skin.
By the way, I just realized you're the the guy who's been waffling for about two years now. Get over it, be a man and shave your head already. Quit the wallowing in self-pity.

Harsh?  I was gonna suggest that a sure fire way of treating hairloss is to jump off a high building... >:D

I would also have thought that of all the places in the world, NY was the PERFECT place to start your life with a bald head: where could be better? 8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:38:42 PM by Rob »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2010, 09:32:48 AM »

You're a pretty harsh dude. Next month i am going to NYC, looking to find a career there. On the one hand it would be great to start over again there, on the other hand it would feel awkward to start over there as a baldy.

You think I'm harsh, and you're coming to NYC to look for a job ;D ;D ;D  That's good, try stand up comedy--then put on your real battle gear for the job hunt!  You are totally out of touch as you will soon find out.

With that attitude, you're in for a real eye-opener when you get to NY. Like saint said, shave the dome and grow some thicker skin.
By the way, I just realized you're the the guy who's been waffling for about two years now. Get over it, be a man and shave your head already. Quit the wallowing in self-pity.

Harsh?  I was gonna suggest that a sure fire way of treating hairloss is to jump off a high building... >:D

I would also have thought that of all the places in the world, NY was the PERFECT place to start your life with a bald head: where could be better? 8)

Well said Rob. If you can't do it there, where can you do it?

Offline xKevoBx

• Sly Jr.
  • I'm bald agian!
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 10:26:09 AM »
Thought Boston was better! It's waay better than NY!! :P j/k

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
Getting back to the subject of the thread, "Still on the fence?"  it would seem that scalp by scalp, dome by dome, sly is gaining recognized ascendency in the world if the following article is to be believed:

http://www.bookofodds.com/Health-Illness/Articles/A0849-Bald-and-Beautiful

Offline timetobeme

• Sly
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:31 PM »
Great article.  I'm glad I am living in these SLY times of acceptance.  I just wish it had been this way 20 years ago.  I love being SLY and looking back at all of the anxiety over hair loss now seems so silly.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
Kayla Martell?  HAWT!
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2010, 03:35:47 PM »
I am still on the fence... Still chicken

I switch between thinking about transplants and then I see photos (and lets face it one percent of guys look great the rest just think they do)

But I guess its all about self perception. Same with shaving or whatever you decide to do. We all cannot look amazing like Vin Diesel or have a head of hair like George Clooney

I definitely think if you are a norwood 4+ definitely buzz and definitely shave

Can I ask the guys here... Most of you would of transitioned from thin hair to buzz to shave right... can I ask if you have thinning hair how that looks buzzed down to a 1 or 2 guard (just opinions on this versus the usual shave it all to 0 comments ;) )

Cheers guys

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »
I am still on the fence... Still chicken

can I ask if you have thinning hair how that looks buzzed down to a 1 or 2 guard
Of course you can ask.  And many have traveled to sly over time from buzz.  Buzz works IMO if you have even, symmetrical mpb up to about a Hamilton IV or so.  If it's not symmetrical, it doesn't do very well.  I did it, but between the two islands that had developed out front, the lack of symmetry and the gray hair--in little more than a month I embraced my bald genes--as someone said here recently.  It's a big step, but it's a natural way to get there--it sure beats mutilating your body with HT surgery or damaging your future health with pills, or your wallet w/ a rug.  I found once I got to #1, it was so close to shaved that I had to do it, and I liked it and kept it.  Some guys switch back and forth, and if you have some follicles working well enough to do that, it works to.  The goal is to get the mpb worries behind you, if buzz does that--it's a good plan.  It's getting free that counts. 

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2010, 03:51:38 PM »
I think the shorter the better when it comes to thin hair.  That was my experience.  I was trying to grow mine out long again and some people thought it looked great but the way the MPB is settling in to stay, with the scalp shining through down the middle and at the monk's circle?  Yeah, for me sly is better.  And since I shave in the shower, I don't have to worry about cleaning up lil tiny hairs from where I buzzed.
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
What age did you guys buzz and go for it and accept the hair loss

I am only 33 and it is hard to think this is it I will never be able to style my hair again

Also I cannot help it it is distressing to think I will be passed over and rejected directly from women for having no hair

It scares me the idea of people having a dig at me for balding or going bald. Its a very touchy subject for younger guys and for someone to say it thinking even its no big deal or because its the truth... It may be true but it still hammers the self confidence

For me being ready mentally to take that next step is key and in some ways its acceptance so once I do go for it whenever that is I am sure I will be ready to take the criticism mentally and be happy about it. I do not think anyone should shave or buzz until they are truely accepting and ready to move on because everyone is right it does look way better then thinning messy hair. If you shave your head and are not ready for it mentally it can make a guy worse confidence wise... Especially if he looks in the mirror and doesnt like what he sees

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2010, 07:29:23 PM »

I am only 33 and it is hard to think this is it I will never be able to style my hair again

Also I cannot help it it is distressing to think I will be passed over and rejected directly from women for having no hair

For what reasons would you prefer to be passed over and rejected?  Everybody gets passed over and rejected for one reason or another at various times in their lives.  Would you rather be passed over for being too tall/short/fat/thin/young/old?  Would that really make you feel better?   ??? ???

It scares me the idea of people having a dig at me for balding or going bald. Its a very touchy subject for younger guys and for someone to say it thinking even its no big deal or because its the truth... It may be true but it still hammers the self confidence

You're not in high school anymore.  Most adults don't go around making fun of other people's appearances, especially if the target is a friend. 

You're 33 years old; you're not a kid anymore, so just grow up already.  You are almost twice the age of some of the guys here who are dealing with their own hair loss issues.  In fact, as far as those 18-year-olds are concerned, you're an old man.  Deal with it, like the rest of us have had to.

If you shave your head and are not ready for it mentally it can make a guy worse confidence wise... Especially if he looks in the mirror and doesnt like what he sees

And you know this because??    ??? ??? ???

The very worst that can happen is you don't like what you see -- and you find out that a shaved head isn't for you.  So you let your hair grow back and stop wondering about it and move on.  It doesn't make you feel worse confidence-wise. It makes you feel better, even if you don't like it, because you know you had the guts to give it a try.

Doing absolutely nothing but obsess over it and feeling sorry for yourself doesn't seem to be working for you.  It never does.  So you can either remain in this holding pattern indefinitely and be miserable or start taking some action to change your situation.  Which is it going to be?   Your call.

Offline RyanJP

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »

For me being ready mentally to take that next step is key and in some ways its acceptance so once I do go for it whenever that is I am sure I will be ready to take the criticism mentally and be happy about it. I do not think anyone should shave or buzz until they are truely accepting and ready to move on because everyone is right it does look way better then thinning messy hair. If you shave your head and are not ready for it mentally it can make a guy worse confidence wise... Especially if he looks in the mirror and doesnt like what he sees

Here I go again....better yet thank god for copy and paste, from one of my previous post's today : I'm 29 years old so Quit your whining, I had a shaved head on and off since I was 18 and in the Marine Corps and have been sly consistently since I was 25 and will continue till I die and have never had any problems with dating or relationships. Your hair isn't the problem, you are and I would advise you for you're well being to find out what outstanding qualities and attributes you have and quit dwelling on something as stupid as your hair. I have fellow Marines/brothers as well as comrades in all services coming back home without arms, legs, suffer from numerous brain injuries as well as PTSD and not one of them have felt or is at this moment feeling sorry for themselves or whine one bit and here you are complaining and worrying in fear. Unless your dying or have cancer embrace what you have because I guarantee you the 9 year old child with Leukemia isn't worried if he/she has no hair......Did what I post put anything in perspective.

Outstanding thread Razor.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:03:20 PM by RyanJP »

Offline Nate

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2010, 10:41:09 PM »
I know I know guys I didnt mean to offend anyone I know many guys who have so much more strength internally then me its not even funny (tetraplegic paraplegic) so I do understand how small and pathetic it sounds but hey I cannot help it.

I am waiting for summer to roll around and I will buzz it

Offline BaldWriterBob

• Super Sly
  • Pastor, Author, Musician
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2010, 10:59:58 PM »

I missed summer??? O:O
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 11:04:30 PM by BaldWriterBob »

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »
I know I know guys I didnt mean to offend anyone I know many guys who have so much more strength internally then me its not even funny (tetraplegic paraplegic) so I do understand how small and pathetic it sounds but hey I cannot help it.

Enough with the whining and waiting, just buzz it and get it done!

Good posts by Razor and Ryan, by the way   O0