Author Topic: Trying To Make The Decision to Go Bald?  (Read 7846 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Trying To Make The Decision to Go Bald?
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:43:47 AM »
Are you losing your hair?  Contemplating shaving your head or trimming your hair to beat mother nature to the point?  What's holding you back?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

gearhedguy

Re: Trying To Make The Decision to Go Bald?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 03:08:41 PM »
I probably started to go bald back in college. I didn't even really realize it (or want to realize it) until someone asked me "so how long have you been losing your hair?" I immediately answered, "oh, I've always had a high forehead."  >:( I began cropping the sides of my head really short, buzzing off the hair, and leaving more hair on top to give the illusion of having hair. . . a military style haircut. But into my late 20's and early 30's it was getting harder and harder to hide my waning folicles. I'd continually look in the mirror to be sure the hair was precisely placed and secured on the top of my head. And if it was windy outside I would practically have anxiety attacks over the thought of the wind destroying my "secret". In looking back it was so riduculous. One day I got fedup with it all, got out a razor, and shaved it all off!! I got so many compliments the next day. . . "you have the nicest shaved head", "you have the perfect head to be bald", "you look like Andre Agassi",  "you really have a handsome skull", etc., etc. I was like, ummm, thanks??? Anyway, I am so happy I began shaving. And in all honestly, even if I could have a full head of hair I don't even think I'd want it. Being bald has become like my signature and I like the look.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 03:21:52 PM »
Great post gearhedguy!  Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 04:11:27 PM »
When I started shaving my head, my son was going through chemotherapy and beginning to lose his hair. I caught an ad for St Baldrick's, which is a fundraiser for kid's cancer research. Basically you raise some money and shave your head. I was going to let it grow out again, but then saw the HeadBlade in a local drugstore. Anywho, I have a full head of hair but choose to shave it.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Apollo5

• currently currently
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 10:17:54 PM »
If You are thinking about it. One of the things you can do is look for a excuse like a St Baldricks event or something. That way if you don't like it you got an excuse to tell people why you did it. I once shaved my head for hockey tickets. Remember, I grows back and you can wear a hat. The Bald look is not for everyone. Some people's heads and faces don't work for hairlessness. That is cool. But don't feel scared to experiment

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 01:23:49 AM »
That's a great suggestion Apollo5!!!

Offline yep_yep

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:04 AM »
Well, at the moment my funny shaped head is keeping me from shaving.

Offline Xan

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 10:56:52 AM »
A quite common reason; scared it won't look good.

But eh, I'll do it anyways, it grows back.

Offline EkEkEkEk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »
i might have a scar from when i was a kid on the crown of my head. i can't feel it or see it, but there's still a lot of regular growth back there still. and, of course, i fear it won't look good.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 04:53:50 PM »
Dude, scars just add more character.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 08:20:21 PM »
Dude, scars just add more character.

I agree!  I have a ton of scars...most on my chest and side from surgeries...none on the dome that I know of.  My buddies and I used to have contests to see who had the most scars and tell stories of how they got them...I always won!  ;D

Offline EkEkEkEk

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 10:50:31 PM »
ok. the other concern, now the greater one...curly hair. i still have a pretty significant amount. i read that guys with curly hair are more likely to get red bumps (ingrown hairs...or whatever, etc.). i have an issue on my neck sometimes. it would suck to finally get the balls to do this, only to wake up the next morning with another noticable issue.

Offline ar3inc

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Oh yes, I'm back and in black
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 10:20:31 AM »
Use HeadShed, or some other type of exfoliater, and there will be no red bumps.  I have curly hair as well and every so often had a break out of little red bumps.  My wife's convinced me to start using an exfoliater, and I never had the problem again.
"Every man dies, not every man really lives."  Braveheart, 1995

Offline agassi

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 10:21:06 PM »
hey guys my 15 year old stepson decided to let me shave his head tonight with the clippers just thought i would drop you a line and let you know as we all know its a big step to do so

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:25:07 PM »
hey guys my 15 year old stepson decided to let me shave his head tonight with the clippers just thought i would drop you a line and let you know as we all know its a big step to do so

Sweet!

Enter your email address: