Author Topic: Your Shave Routine  (Read 362550 times)

Offline Artisan6

• Squire of Sly
  • Learning the way of Sly
  • Steve
Re: Your Shave Routine
« Reply #600 on: January 10, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
I shave in the shower.  Hot as I can take.  I use Nicel Shave in the Shower Gel, enriched with aloe, menthol and tea tree oil.  Lather that up, and use a Rolling Razor Sensitive cartridges.  I go against the grain up top, but with the grain in back.  I shave everyday, or every two.  Occasionally I'll do the cold water rinse that others have talked about, depends on how sleepy I am. 

As of yet, I don't have a lotion or aftershave that I use.  That Nicel stuff works nicely to keep it smooth, and razor burn free.

I used to use a Headblade, but like the dual blades on the Rolling Razor, and the better control (it slips right on your finger).  Plus, they autoship cartridges to me, at a great price.  So, I never have to remember to buy new blades.  Makes for a great shave, all the time.

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #601 on: January 19, 2013, 03:26:23 PM »
I Will either take a shower, or rub a warm-hot wash cloth on my head. Then put pre shave gel on
Put my cream on
fill my sink with hot water
grab either my headblade or mach 3(mostly headblade though)
Start shaving, i think that's a pretty good routine
"Sly til the day I die"

Johnny_T

« Reply #602 on: May 11, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
I shave in the shower.   I start by getting my head soaked with hot water and washing my head and face. Then I rinse and wash the rest of my body. I keep re-wetting my head throughout. I shut the water and lather my head. On word days my time and hot water are limited so I use King Of Shaves Shave gel.  I grab my Fusion and I go one pass AGT over my whole head. I start at my sideburn on the right side of my head and use one long stroke back. I work my way up and then across the top of my head still going front to back From my forehead to the back of my head. I finish at my left ear. Then I move to the back. From my neck up to the top of my head one stroke. Move over a blade length and repeat. Then I take one last up stroke above my ears and touch up around/behind the ears and I'm done.  I rinse with warm water then  I clean my razor. I rinse it well then shake it out. Then I blow forcefully through the blades back and front. Then I dry it on a towel.

I then turn on the cold water and rinse again and then pat dry my head . Then I go back to hot water but wet only my face as a last soak before drying myself, getting out and shaving my face.

On days off from work when I have more time,  everything is the same but I use a brush and Kiss My Face shave cream. Sometimes I use other creams. Headslick (which I used exclusively for 5 years) which lathers great with a brush. C.O. Bigelow or Proraso.

I shave pretty much every day but usually skip at least one day.

Offline Volk

« Reply #603 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »
I shave every other day after the shower. With my head still a little bit wet i apply the shaving gel, shave with a HB Sport (sometimes an ATX) and finish the spots over my ears with a DE razor, then i rinse with cold water. With my head dry I sometimes apply some hydrating cream or a mattifying/hydrating one. All the cosmetic products I use are made by an Italian company called Filgi and they work great. Sooner or later I'm going to try shaving under the shower and maybe Headblade or BeeBald products, although they're not really convenient to buy here in Italy since I'd have to place an order online and pay a lot of money for shipping.

Offline Volk

« Reply #604 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:17 AM »
I forgot to mention that I'm currently using Gillette Atra blades with my HB Sport and I like them more than the stock HB3 blades. The HB3 blades are great and cause less irritation than the Atra but I need to go through many more passages. Plus, Atra blades are way cheaper here! :)

Offline Mikali

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #605 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »
For now my routine every other day:

- Take a hot shower
- put on some proraso pre shave cream on my head
- use a badger brush with Dr. Harris, Arlington, soap (delicious imo !!)
- then use a Gilette fusion ATG (if it's longer first WTG)
- again proraso pre shave cream on the face
- make lather with the Dr Harris soap and brush
- shave with my straight WTG
- wetten again and shave ATG
- splash cold water
- use an Alumn block (Osma)
- rinse again with cold water
- use Dr. Harris arlingtons after shave milk on my face and the remains on my head
- then use Dr. Harris Talcum powder
- Finishing touch with some Dr. Harris Cologne

ET VOILA, the perfect shave !  8)

Offline TheWickerMan

« Reply #606 on: June 24, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
For now my routine every other day:

- Take a hot shower
- put on some proraso pre shave cream on my head
- use a badger brush with Dr. Harris, Arlington, soap (delicious imo !!)
- then use a Gilette fusion ATG (if it's longer first WTG)
- again proraso pre shave cream on the face
- make lather with the Dr Harris soap and brush
- shave with my straight WTG
- wetten again and shave ATG
- splash cold water
- use an Alumn block (Osma)
- rinse again with cold water
- use Dr. Harris arlingtons after shave milk on my face and the remains on my head
- then use Dr. Harris Talcum powder
- Finishing touch with some Dr. Harris Cologne

ET VOILA, the perfect shave !  8)

Wow! That's an awesome routine. Do you use any SPF regularly?

I only shave my head twice a week. I currently use a Mach 3, but I'm hoping the HB ATX will be my new weapon of choice.  My shave day routine is as follows:

1. In a hot shower I exfoliate with HeadShed.
2. Apply some HeadSlick.
3. Shave WTG.
4. Reapply a TINY amount of HeadSlick and go ATG.
5. Check for any misses.
6. Finish my shower.
7. At the sink I'll rinse my head again with cold water and dry with a towel.
8. Apply ClearHead and go about my other needs.
9. Apply either HeadLube Matte or SPF, depending on what my day calls for.

Total shower time is about 10 minutes. On non-shave days I wash with HeadWash and apply the HeadLube or SPF.  O:O
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:53:53 PM by TheWickerMan »
Onward and upward.

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #607 on: July 05, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »
Blimey, you guys have such good routines!

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #608 on: July 05, 2013, 12:23:18 PM »
My routine is relatively simple..

1. Wet head with hot water, while soaking brush.
2. apply dime sized dollop of Headslick to brush.
3. lather up head.
4. shave WTG.
5. apply another dollop of product to brush.
6. re-later.
7. shave ATG.
8. rinse with hot water & check for stubble. (optional - touchup)
9. rinse again with cold water.
10. apply aftershave gel.
11. after air drying, apply Bump Stop 2 to problem areas.
12. Done.  ;)

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #609 on: July 12, 2013, 11:56:20 AM »
Every 3 days for me so far. Does take a while to get the smooth head though. I then moisturise and job done!

Offline gadgetwizard

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #610 on: July 22, 2013, 10:58:33 AM »
Newbie.

Just one week in to my 30 days.

My weapon of choice is a Parker double edge

I like to make the shaving an occasion. At the moment every other day along with my face. I Wet my head and then leave a hot towel on it for a few minutes

Lather up with a good quality shaving soap. I like the look of the foam on my head.

Shave with the grain then across the grain then against the grain.

Rinse and check for missed bits.

Today I tried witch hazel for the first time and wow what a difference, highly recommended.

Finish with a tea tree moisturiser.

Feels great and feels smooth.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #611 on: July 27, 2013, 12:21:50 AM »
Hey guys!

Changed up my routine lately, I used to use head slick but ran out and couldn't get more. I found some Palmolive Lather Shave cream at my local supermarket so I thought I'd give brush and lather shaving a go.

Fill sink with super hot water and wet brush (currently using a boar bristle pastry brush, go figure... I'm poor)

Shave off some flakes of glycerin soap into my shaving bowl with a knife, add shave cream and dissolve soap and cream in a little hot water, lather with brush.

Hot shower with Head Shed

Get out, lather up with the pre-done mix, headblade ATG left of head then right, re-lather, touch up and rinse. Freshen with ice cold water with Dettol in to kill germs and feel fresh

Moisturise with SPF 15 moisturiser.

I added the soap shaving to the lather to thicken it up, but it really improves the whole shave!

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #612 on: August 05, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »
My brother recommended using two different razors, one with the grain and one against. I picked up some new Mach 3 blades for shaving with the grain, and use my Fusion against the grain.

I hope it will give me a buttery smooth shave.

I got some Edge shaving gel too, for sensitive skin. His skin, and mine, are very similar. About to hit the shower soon and go completely SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!! :-)

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #613 on: August 06, 2013, 04:46:38 PM »
Sounds like a bit of extra work, but if it's worth it, let me know!

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #614 on: August 08, 2013, 07:08:23 AM »
Slyfive,

Only tried it once, so far. It's more work if you let it grow more between shaves, I think than if you're a daily shaver. So far I have kept the growth "under control" by using an old electric razor I had kicking around so that it's pretty smooth every day and then go "under the blade" less frequently, but it makes it more "special" when I do!  ;D
-gary-